Author Topic: Operation is coming up...really nervous...  (Read 1726 times)

Offline usernameX

• Gold Member
Hey guys, its been a while since I posted but im back. I had a consultation a while ago. Dr Fielding is such a nice guy. Hes a very calm and easy going guy. You'd think he smoked some budd before every consultation haha. But yeah, I was very loose and relaxed too so the consultation went well. This was way back though. Anyways for the guys who have had their operations in general, how did that go? K guys I just realized this right now and Im really nervous now, I told to stop smoking two weeks before the operation and my op is jan 4:S What am I going to do? What damage can this pose?
Had surgery with Dr. J.C. Fielding on August 2nd.

Offline vr4nut

• Silver Member
Smoking causes vasospasms/ vasoconstriction, and the reduced blood flow to your periphery will markedly slow the healing process.  Surgeons I have shadowed have told patients straight up they will not operate unless the patient does not smoke for at least a month before surgery.  Otherwise the surgeon will look bad and will have to deal with the complications.  Obviously this does not apply to trauma surgery.  It really sounds like you are trying to tackle two major problems at once- as if either one wouldn't be hard enough on its own.  You will have to find a way to resist the urge for a cigarette when you get nervous about the operation.  Normally I would recommend various nicotine replacement therapies to aid in quitting, but I would think these would cause the same vasospasm problems as cigarettes themselves (I don't know if your surgeon told you anything about that), so you have to quit cold turkey here.  It would be in your best interest for you to stop smoking (whether or not you are having an operation) but you might try to stop NOW so that you will know what you will be up against when your real 2 week deadline comes up- and spend the meantime trying to find a way that works to keep you from giving in to the urge.  I don't know what you can do to give yourself will power; perhaps you can think about how your new chest will look better if you stop, or you can scare yourself with the thought of being sent home if they find out you smoked (not that that would necessarily happen).  It really has to be a personal thing- whatever it is that is motivating you the most.  Best of luck with it; it certainly will be happy new year for you, and a happy new chest  ;)

edit- another idea: maybe you can decidedly quit for good and say that you are doing it to pay for your operation.  I'm not sure how much you smoke, but maybe you could pay off your operation by saving money on the next year's worth of cigarettes.  That's just what you can tell yourself for motivation.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 07:32:50 PM by vr4nut »

Offline usernameX

• Gold Member
No no, I dont smoke because im nervous. lol I just smoke because Im a smoker :P But im nervous because I was told to stop smoking 2 weeks before the operation. What pissed me off was he didnt put too much enphasis on quiting he said it briefly, Im suprised I even remembered. Jan 4 is less than 2 weeks away bro. Or actually, scratch that, its exactly 2 weeks away:(

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024