Author Topic: smoking and surgery recovery  (Read 2438 times)

Offline dpg212

Hi,
I havent posted anything on here yet, but i recently had the surgery, maybe 8-9 weeks ago.  My recovery is going fine, although there is a slight nagging problem.  I am a 21 yo male who is finishing my senior year in college- sometimes to cope with stress i have a cigarette or 2.  (I had abstained for the 4-6 week post-op period.)  I have noticed that the surgery area became somewhat distended and uncomfortable if i am smoking (not heavily, but steadily) for the week or so around exams...i would cease and it would returns to normal after a few days.  It certainly seems that smoking irritates the area and i was wondering if anybody had experienced similar things or has any idea what was happening physically.  I know that smoking is a bad idea, but is this likely to persist?
Thanks

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Smoking can impair the healing of the chest.  The nicotine, carbon monoxide poison gas in smoke can lead to heightened discomfort for you in that area.  That's probably why you're feeling uncomfortable.  The easy answer is to quit, not so easy to do though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 07:11:49 PM by jc71 »

Offline JTZ

• Bronze Member
Sounds like a good reason (among others) to try and quit forever!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 10:17:54 PM by JTZ »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024