Author Topic: Questions and nervous about surgery in 2 weeks.  (Read 3688 times)

Offline chansam

• Bronze Member
Hi all.  I have my surgery scheduled 2 weeks from now and I am a little nervous for a couple of reasons.  First I am nervous about having surgery in general (the cutting, the anaethesia, pain, etc).  The more I think of that graphic picture the more nervous I get.  I'm also concerned about my business and it running smooth while I am recovering. 

Secondly, I have some blood issues which makes it harder for my blood to clot than most people.  I found this out 4 years ago when I went to originally get this surgery done.  My hematologist approved it back then, but I ended up getting worried and not getting the surgery.  I had my blood test done now and the problem is still there and I am seeing my hematologist next week to get his approval for the surgery again.  Regardless of what he says, I will still be a little nervous.  My PS said he needs my hematologist's approval before he can do the surgery.   He said 'bleeding to death' is a real concern.  Obviously those words caught my attention.

I also have a question about the drains.  What are they?  My PS told me they are removed a few days after surgery but I forgot to ask him more about them.  When do the stiches come out?

Thanks.

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
The anesthesia and pain are nothing to worry about.  You wake up and it's finished.  I didn't use many pain meds because I didn't need them.  After the first day an over-the-counter Tylenol once in a while was good enough for me.  The drains were just to let fluids out so they wouldn't build up.  They were removed from me after a few days.  As for the blood thing, I don't really know how to respond.  I would guess that you should rely on the professionals to give you good advice and then act accordingly. 
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline chansam

• Bronze Member
Thanks Mr. Nip.  Your comments do make me feel a little better.  So I don't feel excrutiating pain after surgery?  How does your chest feel right after surgery?  Like a car ran over it? 

How long after surgery are you walking upright without any kind of slouch?  How long after surgery can I have sex?

If I hug someone 9 days after surgery will it hurt?

Thanks.

Offline Mr_Nip

Generally it was more of a discomfort for me instead of a "hurt".  It did hurt, however, when I would raise my arms up high or stress the chest in some way.  Really everybody's different in the pain threshold department, but I consider myself about average.  The pain could be best described as like you feel when you have really worked your chest muscles too hard and they are sore.   

I walk with absolutely no slouch now.  It was September of 06 when I had the surgery.  Sometimes I have to make myself sit up straight though. 

You can have sex whenever, but I suggest keeping on your back and letting her do the work.   ;)

As far as the hug question, I guess it would depend on how hard. 

Offline chansam

• Bronze Member
Thanks for the information Mr. Nip.  You have definitely eased some of my concern.  Part of me can't wait for the day to arrive so I don't have to deal with the moobs anymore and the other part of me doesn't want the day to come because of the fear.

I have a strong belief in the universal "Law of Attraction" so I try not to focus to much on the fear because then I invite into my life and experience.  I focus more on seeing myself with a flat chest.  When I do this exercise it relaxes me and cuts down my nervousness.

My hematologist still has to approve my surgery.  So lets see what he says on Tuesday.

Offline chansam

• Bronze Member
I still don't understand what specifically "drains" are?  Are they little pouches attached to your body to catch excess fluids?  What do they look like?

Thanks.

Offline chansam

• Bronze Member
Thanks jblogs!  That is very helpful information.  One more question.  Does it hurt when the doctor takes the drains out?

Offline unleash

• Posting Member
  • I wish.....damn Gyne
Sounds scary.,
I thought drains were tiny tubes which would send fluid out to the bandages..
I cant do the pumpin part or analyze the fluid consistency!!!
And PIN IT TO MY SHIRT!!!Blow me down..I dont wanna get drained.
 :o :o
We Are What WE Do.
    Our Deeds Make The Man Within Us.

Offline Mr_Nip

Jologs1 said it pretty accurately.  That describes what I felt.  In fact, there was absolutely no discomfort after the tubes were pulled out.  The total relief was instantaneous with me.

Offline desi

• Gold Member
i didnt have drains... wonder why ::)
Formerly, 'Fattgayee', as in 'Torn Apart' or more so 'I am Screwed' :)

Offline chansam

• Bronze Member
Hey Desi.  I got a question for you.  I know your Indian so you are probably a hairy beast just like me! :) I got hair all over my chest (being Indian myself).  Did you completely shave your chest prior to surgery or just trim it down?

Thanks in advance bro.

Offline desi

• Gold Member

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
It is unfortunate that the image in most peoples mind is that of the trauma center or emergency room. People are writhing and crying out in pain and they are covered with blood.

That might make good TV, but it has no resemblance to what happens in the operating room.

The patient usually feels nothing and remembers nothing as they were fully anesthetized well before the procedure starts.

There is not the chaotic and frantic atmosphere of the ER, but quiet and calm prevail. I knew a surgeon many years ago who always had music playing softly in the background while he worked. (Hank usually preferred Beethoven in the OR)

Blood loss is usually insignificant. Heart surgery can be done in some cases with a total blood less of about 15 ml. (about a tablespoonful) Knowing in advance of your clotting problem, and armed with suggestions from the Hematologist, There are things that can be done to minimize bleeding.

Upon awakening, the patient should expect to feel nothing more than discomfort, perhaps not even that.

If either the Surgeon or Hematologist has any serious doubts about the safety of the procedure, it simply will not happen.

Rest easy, all will go well.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024