Author Topic: Regarding drains after operation  (Read 2685 times)

Offline rokulikahurican

Hi,
      I went to an experienced PS today for consultation and he uses UAL and PAL to remove TISSUE and Fat by making a small incision in the skin area on the right side of the areola. After that for 3-4 days he installs a drain to collect the fluid.

He says the drains are for faster recovery and reduction of swelling.

Please share your opinions on this kind of method.

Thanks

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Some docs use them some don't....

It's questionable whether they are really necessary...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

irish lad

please people if you have anymore answers on this share them..

rock.. you saved me posting lol :D

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
FYI, keep in mind that a standard liposuction cannula CANNOT remove gland tissue. 

Offline mmaman

• Silver Member
You may want to find a different surgeon.  Liposuction does not take out gland.  Dr. Jacobs said he invented some special cannula that sometimes takes out gland.  Maybe your doctor is using this.  Keep in mind also that almost everybody thinks they are going to a "well-respected' or "experienced" surgeon.  Unless he is one of the few surgeons that uses this special cannula, you will not be pleased with your results.  Find another surgeon who has before and after pics of gynecomastia patients.  It's no fun getting surgery and still having puffy nipples, which is what you are probably on the road for with this guy.  Good luck PAL

Peace

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Drains are a "safety valve" after surgery -- they are useful to collect blood or fluid accumulation after the operation, which could impede the healing process.  Some doctors use them on every case; others use them when they feel the drains are necessary.  I belong to the latter group -- I will use drains only if I think the circumstances demand it, which is usually about one or two cases per year.

My preference is to use a very snug compression garment, which presses the tissues together to limit fluid accumulation.  It is a rare case, in my hands, that needs fluid to be removed after surgery with a syringe.

These are my preferred methods of treatment -- other surgeons have their own methods -- all of them work, it is just a different road to the same final result.

Elliot Jacobs, MD, FACS

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline rashdudes

• Bronze Member
Some pictures of drain(s) would be nice ;)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024