Author Topic: Having surgery when not at the ideal/right weight?  (Read 2398 times)

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
Hey people,
Just wondering about the implications of going in for gyne surgery when one is not at their ideal weight or at a weight and muscle mass that is realistic for them to maintain in the long run ?
By this, I mean what is the prognosis for those that get surgery when they are either A)- Still overweight and carrying an excess of fat, that they dont plan to keep on them in the long-run OR B) At an unrealistically low-weight, that they have dieted and exercised very hard, (possibly even irresponsibly)  to achieve in time for their surgery, that they will most likely be unable to maintain in the long-run?

what will happen to the results of surgery, for those that were either overweight or underweight on the day of surgery, when they inevitably lose or gain  further weight later on?

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 06:50:23 PM by tonysoprano »
... and the saga continues

Offline IlluminaZero

• Bronze Member
  • What the hell is YaBB 1G - SP1!?
Don't worry about body weight, what really matters is your BMI. (Body Mass Index.) The height/weight comparison really means nothing.

I've read that Obesity might cause an estrogen imbalance that might lead to the Gynecomastia resurfacing, although susceptibility depends on severity of obesity and your own individual genetic quirks. (It's best to have a hormone test done beforehand.)

I haven't read anything on poor eating habits or anorexia causing Gynecomastia. Although it's theorized a poor diet may also lead to being more susceptible to Gynecomastia.

If you are primarily concerned with long-term effects of surgery on weight, I haven't read a single thing that would imply that the Gynecomastia surgery would be either detrimental or beneficial in whatever you plan to do with your body after the surgery.

I am by no means a doctor though, so don’t blindly take my word for this.  ;) Good Luck.

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
Ive already had surgery...and at the time I fell into scenario B. being so unnaturally skinny and unmuscular at the time resulted in my surgeon possibly thinking that I didnt have that much fat on my chest, and that the gyne was all gland, and thus doing very little lipo (only 20cc), rather than what ive heard more often which seems to be on average 100-250cc's...

8 months later, and back to a normal, yet still rather low but trim weight, and I have a significant amount of fat across my chest.

which makes me wonder about having surgery when one is either more overweight or more underweight than the shape they are likely going to be  in the long-run...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 11:21:38 PM by tonysoprano »

Offline IlluminaZero

• Bronze Member
  • What the hell is YaBB 1G - SP1!?
Going by the sound of it, it may be quite possible that there was miscommunication between what you desired from the surgery and what the Doctor thought you wanted/needed.

Either that or there is some other variable that I have absolutely no clue about.

I recommend that you express your concerns with your surgeon, there doesn't seem to be much if anything to gain in keeping silent about this to the dude right?

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
youre right dude thanks for the advice.
I think there certainly was a miscommunication, because in my mind I wanted a 'flat as can be without being concave' chest, and at the consult he told me that his aim was to give gyne patients a 'more masculine chest', and I nodded to that.

Maybe I wasnt clear about how I wanted my chest to turn out, in the context of how it would look in proportion to the rest of me. I mean obviously a flat, ironing-board chest is gonna look ridiculous on a big beefy weightlifter, but on a 5'8 150 pound guy, with little muscle mass, its gonna look more apporpriate than a prominent,protruding chest.

anyway - I'll keep this in mind for when I consult with my ps again,  in 10 days time.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024