Author Topic: Anyone here get a mammogram before having surgery?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline johndoe

• Silver Member
Before I had my surgery my doctor sent me to get a mammogram. He said this is the easiest way to see if the problem is because of tissue or simply fat.

After he told me my condition was caused be all fat I had almost no tissue yet I had a pretty bad case. I'm wondering that if this is the case will my terrible genes cause the condition to come back? I've never been really fat once as a freshman in high school i gained some weight but in a year just from being active lost all of it. But it never got to the point where I was consider really fat.

Offline johndoe

• Silver Member

DrBermant

Before I had my surgery my doctor sent me to get a mammogram. He said this is the easiest way to see if the problem is because of tissue or simply fat.

After he told me my condition was caused be all fat I had almost no tissue yet I had a pretty bad case. I'm wondering that if this is the case will my terrible genes cause the condition to come back? I've never been really fat once as a freshman in high school i gained some weight but in a year just from being active lost all of it. But it never got to the point where I was consider really fat.

I prefer to order male mammograms when I feel it is clinically indicated during a physical exam. I use my Dynamic Technique to help guide me with what needs to be done during surgery.  However, each doctor has his / her own methods.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Not long ago, Dr. Bermant found fault with my contention that there was an unacceptably high number of men who were less than thrilled with the outcome of their surgery.  

Yet in this case, I feel compelled to come to his defense.

The surgeon is a sculptor working in a medium which is pilant and dynamic.  If too much tissue is removed, the breast could become concave or there could be insufficient fat and facia left separating the skin from the underlying muscle resulting in adhesion of the skin to the muscle.  It is much easier to go back and remove more, than to attempt remedial action if too much was removed.

A more conservative approach will risk an occasional need for follow-up rather than go too far.  I would agree.  

As to the mammogram,  That is between you and your Doctor.  Experts disagree,  This is nothing new!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 10:38:32 PM by Paa_Paw »
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024