Author Topic: Delgado surgery - 24 hours post op.  (Read 3812 times)

Offline moobsbegone

• Posting Member
Talk about surreal.

The drains are in and I'm here typing on my laptop a few miles away from his office.

The drains are coming out tomorrow.  They didn't have a vest big enough for me. I have a wrap around binder.

The pain hasn't been too bad. But truly - standing up, sitting down, not easy tasks. I was worried earlier when it was time for a #2... It was no problem at all.

I didn't really plan on sharing my experience, but may later. So far, the pain hasn't been horrendous.

Dr. Delgado was great, his nurse Debbie was terrific and Dr. Gaynor the Anesthesiologist was very professional.

Things they don't tell you about surgery...
     - It's over in a flash (I vaguely remember I was dreaming when I was woken up to move beds, but don't remember the dream at all)
     - They wipe you down naked with Betadine (first they get you stoned)
     - You choose your own music - I asked for some Johnny Cash (Singing along to Johnny while a nurse covers you from head to toe including your junk and crack while she dances a little to Johnny is F&$%ing surreal)

Things that helped me before surgery...
     - Positive thinking, it's cheesy, but it was very helpful.
     - Knowing how many of the procedures were done a year by the doctor, the odds of issues with anesthesia, etc (Delgado does 80 or so a year, the odds of my dying were higher on my car ride than on the table). These numbers brought me comfort.
     - Talk to loved ones before hand. No one knows except for one person (that's taking care of me) that I went in for this. Too much silly shame. So I called an Ex GF who I'm still close with, a few best buds, etc. Just said "Hi" and heard the latest stories. It made me feel loved, again... positive thinking before surgery.
     - Eat healthy before surgery. I drank several Odwalla Superfood, took my vitamin C, etc.

More later - for now, it's nearly sleepy time.

Offline shughes123

• Posting Member
I just had the surgery too.  And I know what you're saying....

When first hearing about gynecomastia, I didn't think I really had it. After all the weightlifting, healthy eating, and cardio,  I've lost a bit of weight, and built some muscle, but my nippples were still puffy\pointy.  That's when I realized that it was gland and the only way to remove it was through surgery, and that feeling of helplessness is horrible.  So it does feel great and surreal to finally having it over with and to know that I no longer will have to worry about trying to hide it.

I agree with everything you said. It was over in a flash. Last thing I remember was Dr. Gaynor telling me he was administering the anesthesia. Then, like you, I remember having some dreams but don't know what they were about,waking up very woozy and moving beds.  It felt great though because, I knew it was all over with. Then about 20 min later I was barely woozy at all.  No dizziness, no nausea.

Oh yeah, there was music on when I went in too. It was pretty surreal being sedated (yet still abit nervous\anxious about the surgery) while listening to the music until I fell asleep; in was great. I don't remember being covered in anything, so they probaly did that while I was under.

I'd say the hardest part was the few hours waiting before surgery. I wasn't that nervous, I just wanted to get this all over with.  However, there's still a bit of "what if" going on in the back of my head. Like you... I haven't told anyone about this, just my parents know, but I did talk to loved ones on the phone last night just to say "hi" and this combined with positive thinking before the surgery helped me out A LOT so I know what you mean.

Congratulations on your surgery, and I hope you recover fast. Thanks for sharing, and letting me use your thread to share also, lol, I didn't really mean to type as much, but once I started I just kept going.

Offline moobsbegone

• Posting Member
Well, I just took my first shower and got my first good close look.

The drains came out yesterday. One I could barely feel at all. The other burned a bit, but only the very end of it.

Delgado said as soon as I took my shirt off that he was concerned about my skin not being as elastic as he previously thought.

This is pretty un-nerving to hear from a doctor you just gave eleven thousand dollars who is supposed to be the best in the business.

More specifically - his concern was that my body hair had previously hidden stretch marks.

The day of the surgery my chest was shaved when he drew all over my chest deciding how he was going to attack. He didn't notice the stretch marks then? He didn't comment to me then?

I know it's too early to really know how my chest will look. It is still mostly numb and swollen. The profile is really great. But my nipples are already sagging somewhat low, with a swollen chest. That is a concern.

I will update everyone later on how things have gone with Delgado. The stitches come out next week.

Separately from that... The experience of not having Gyne is very, very, very strange. It's terrifically liberating but still a tad strange. When you look down your entire life towards your penis and see breasts... And then one day they are just gone. Makes your brain question what the hell is going on. In some ways I expect to wake up with them again. In some ways I expect the sky to be purple tomorrow.

Offline moobsbegone

• Posting Member
It's been six days. I go to work tomorrow.

I feel surprisingly good. I bet I'd feel even better if I wasn't eating so much crappy delivery food and sitting on my ass so much.

My chest is very flat. Almost too flat with my huge belly right now. I'm going on a strict diet tomorrow.  In six weeks I'll start doing as many pushups on a regular basis as humanly possible. I also plan to start swimming to lose fat. (First real time in years).

I'm still sleeping with my head raised, probably for another 3-4 days. I'm taking one Vicodin a night to help me sleep, I don't really need it and frankly, I don't feel it.

That's it for now. I may post pics soon. Looking forward to getting my chest hair back...

That and losing about 30 lbs.

Offline ajax6

• Posting Member
Hey!

Damn, I wish I would have checked the board earlier; I didn't realize everything would be said and done for you so quickly!  Of course, I also have no concept of time...  Thank you for sharing some post-op stuff.  I know how you feel about not wanting to write play-by-play style; it is difficult to get motivated to write about this stuff. 

I like that you used the word "surreal" to describe the whole experience.  I'm sure you remember the couple weeks leading up to the operation, which is where I'm at right now.  It sucks!  I'm curious to know how far you traveled.  I live in Tampa, Florida and am flying to New York.  You are so fortunate to have someone to take care of you.  If it weren't for my pride, maybe I wouldn't be going through this whole thing alone.  By the way, positive thinking is a little cheesy (haha, just kidding), but I firmly believe in the power of staying positive and you hit the nail right on the head with that.  I just tell myself that life is not perfect and things could definitely be worse. 

The sky may turn purple, but I suspect you'll remain the same down to earth, likeable, smart guy you were before the operation...  ...just without an embarrassing problem you had no control over.  I think we have a lot in common and I'm glad you decided to share your story with us. 

If you find yourself with a spare moment, I'd like to hear about your first day back at work (like if anyone noticed/said anything), because that's one of the things I'm a tad anxious about. 

Until then I'll just be doing my thing until December 14 when I'll be going through the same thing you just did.  Thanks again.

Offline moobsbegone

• Posting Member
It's been nearly three weeks since surgery. Stitches are out, there's almost no pain at this point and so far - I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm looking forward to hitting six weeks post op.

I need to exercise - and walking isn't cutting it.

I find myself having more confidence in everyday situations. The 11k is still hurting my pocket book. However in a few months - when I can swim again, when I can take my shirt off in front of a woman with confidence even though I have a belly - the last thing I'll be thinking is about the 11k.

Still - only one person (other than the doc's staff) knows about the surgery. I've noticed a few people looking at my chest at work - maybe they know - maybe they suspect - no one has said anything and frankly I don't give a sh!t.

Surgery wasn't perfect - I still have stretch marks - my nipples are a bit lower than they should be. But I hope after a few more months of healing and a few months of swimming and lifting I will be a new person. We'll see.

Finally - Ajax - what's up with you man? You got a little bit more than a week to go.  If you want to talk about what you're about to go through I'd be happy to talk to you about it.

A few suggestions... - LOTS and LOTS of movies/TV shows/ETC...

- A couple of BIG zip up hoodies. (very comfy)

- Pudding.

- Capri Suns.

- laptop with wireless internet

- extra pillows

- put as much stuff on counters of tables as possible - don't try to pick something up from the ground for at least 3-4 days.

- Take as much time as you can in a hotel - I had surgery Monday night. I lost my buddy to work on Weds morning. I didn't drive home until Friday morning. I felt pretty good on Friday though.

- Have extra strength tylenol to switch to after surgery.

- EmergenCee- it's a powder drink that comes in packets with lots of vitamins.

- It will suck the first 3-4 days - wait it out - you can make it. Remind yourself its for the best.

- The drains may hurt. They may not. Be ready for it.

- Take the pain meds at night and do your best to sleep, sleep, sleep.

- before I went into surgery I called my ex girlfriend and asked her what she loved about me (we still have a great relationship) she went into it for 3 minutes and I walked into surgery feeling very positive. Remember positivity. It's going to hurt for a few weeks - but it will change your life forever.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 03:39:02 PM by moobsbegone »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024