Author Topic: gyne in one breast????  (Read 1875 times)

Offline tttdone

• Bronze Member
I am 17 and I have gyne in my right breast. first of all, I was wondering is this very normal to only have it in one breast? second, what should i tell my doctor so she will let me get surgery? (i have mentioned it to her before but she says the best thing to do is to just wait. this gyne is causing me a lot of social and psychological problems. you guys know what its like) and third, if i get surgery, what are the chances / probabiliity of my gyne coming back?    thanks
Surgery on 8/20/2008

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
It is not unusual to have gyne in only one breast.  I have seen a couple of patients with that same problem in the past week.  Chances are that your situation is not just from being overweight (and maybe you're not at all) since you have it on only one side.  Have you spoken with your parents about taking you to a plastic surgeon?  If your doctor isn't eager for you to do it, consider getting a plastic surgeon's opinion.

Good luck.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline tttdone

• Bronze Member
k thanks.
but i was thinking if i go to a plastic surgeon, it will be harder to get my insurance to cover it. from the research I've been doing i thought its good to have some type of letter or something from a pediatrician or psychaitrist. what are the chances of my insurance covering it AT ALL? this is causing my a lot of problems and possibly mild depression. I never take my shirt off, slouch, etc. I have double insurance coverage through my parents, does this help at all??
ps im not over weight. im about 6'1 and 155 lbs.
thanks

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
It's really hard to know if your insurance company will cover it.  I've been in practice 20 years now, and over the years, I've seen insurance companies cover less and less.  They are more selective now with women as well wanting breast reduction.  Most gyne patients I see do not get insurance companies to cover the cost.

The good news, I guess, is that many plastic surgeons offer patient financing.  There's a reputable company, Care Credit, (I'm sure there are others) that will lend money for up to 12 months with no interest.

You could try to get a letter from your pediatrician, but that usually doesn't help.  Many health insurance plans list "gynecomastia surgery" as a non-covered benefit.  Have your folks check with the company.

Dr. Pope, M.D.

DrBermant

I am 17 and I have gyne in my right breast. first of all, I was wondering is this very normal to only have it in one breast? second, what should i tell my doctor so she will let me get surgery? (i have mentioned it to her before but she says the best thing to do is to just wait. this gyne is causing me a lot of social and psychological problems. you guys know what its like) and third, if i get surgery, what are the chances / probabiliity of my gyne coming back?    thanks

One Sided or Unilateral Gynecomastia is quite common.  However, more often both sides have some problem one more so than the other with Uneven or Asymmetry Gynecomastia.

Stabilizing the problem causing breast growth can be important.  Although Gynecomastia Surgery does not prevent regrowth by targeting gland first, recurrence in my practice has been quite rare.

Male breast growth can cause quite a bit of stress.  At your age, this is something you need to discuss with your parents. For most, gynecomastia will go away on its own.  What has not gone away by 2 years, typically will not.  I deal with many Teenagerss with Gynecomastia.  Many have told me that using these links have been a good tool to explore with their parents their concerns and issues.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024