Author Topic: Fat vs Slim = Gynecomastia --- The Myth persists.  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I was just reviewing some old posts and found some questions in this area which were not fully answered.

There are some, even among us, who still believe the Myth that all Gynecomastia is caused by obesity in some point in a young mans life.

The believers go so far as to say that the upset of hormones that gave rise to breast growth is (or was) always caused by obesity.

As with most Myths, there is an element of truth in that Fat can act like a hormone. The problem is, most boys put on a bit of fat between growth spurts. So why is it that somewhere around 60-70% of boys have Gynecomastia instead of all of them? How does the "Fat Myth" account for the fact that the condition regresses in about half of these young men, not always the leanest among them?

The "Fat Myth" goes even further. According to the Myth, all that would be needed to get rid of Gynecomastia would be to lose some wieght and get into good physical condition.

The Myths need to be put to rest. They are Camel Dung. (I don't think the site will let me spell out B--- S---.)
Grandpa Dan

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
I see what you are saying, but take my case for example. I got gyne when I was 10 years old, perhaps 9 if I really think about it. At that time I was not going through puberty, correct me if I am wrong but I think that hormones come into play during puberty? Or am I wrong here? If thats the case then hormones could of not caused my gyne, it was be getting really fat that caused chest fat build up, and I read that loosing weight will still leave chest fat since its hard to burn off.

When I was like 8 years old I was skinny as a board, and my chest was flat as a ruler, no puffy nipples nothing. Developed gyne when I got fat, even today my nipples dont get puffy, I mean they do but 80% of the time they are hard and if they are puffy its only minor.

Again ^^everything above is my speculation and I am not sure.
Lose 10 (kg) by August... Achieved
Lose 5 (kg) by Mid-September.....Achieved
Gain 20 (lb) in Muscle by December.......Achieved, Gained 24lb in Muscle
Gynecomastia Consultation October 17, 08......Complete

Surgery Completed January 8th, 2009 with Dr. Elliot Jacobs in NYC!

Offline Hope

• Silver Member
I dont think there are many proven facts when it comes to this so called gynecomastia.

I mean if you ask a doc why have I got these, unless they can tell you that hormones or steroid abuse had something to do with it, there isnt a 100% certain answer.

I think that everyones case is different fat may or may not have something to do with gyne, hence it not a fact.

In my case I have had gyne from ever since I can remember and I am overweight but wasnt in my younger days.
*Gyne free thanks to Mr Levick on  April 9th 2009*

Offline latediagnosis

• Silver Member
well considering ive never been over 12% body fat in my life, its a myth..

but i still believe people 210lbs+ should lose weight before they consider surgery, it makes surgery easier and is more likely to get better results.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
You are correct, an overweight person will simply  be able to get a more satisfactory result if the surplus weight is taken off first.

It is also true that obesity can mess with the hormones and is a factor in some cases. but it stops there.

Most Gynecomastia is idiopathic, Cause Unknown. That is acurate and the truth. We are not all severly overweight as some people would seem to think.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024