Author Topic: individualized question about surgery  (Read 2221 times)

Offline whoknows

• Posting Member
I'm going to my doctor to tell him im getting surgery - he says its premature to think about that, im 18, done a considerable amount of things to get rid of it (non-hormonal). I've had it for at least 3 years as I can remember. It bugs me on a day to day basis, but more so hour to hour. Anyhow...

My left pec one looks way more normal then the right. when I get my cold my left pec looks completely normal with maybe a 10% noticeablity (i pulled that out of my ass) of any gyno. My right one when it gets cold still maintains a kind of deformed state/shape. Is this because of the gland? After surgery (I plan to ask the surgeon this as well) if my right will look like my left when gland is removed? Or is this because genetic symmetry stuff?

Offline latediagnosis

• Silver Member
My left pec one looks way more normal then the right. when I get my cold my left pec looks completely normal with maybe a 10% noticeablity (i pulled that out of my ass) of any gyno. My right one when it gets cold still maintains a kind of deformed state/shape. Is this because of the gland? After surgery (I plan to ask the surgeon this as well) if my right will look like my left when gland is removed? Or is this because genetic symmetry stuff?

I have the exact same thing, my right side has more gland than my left. I'm getting surgery in a month and my surgeon told me that she'll be removing more gland from my right. To my understanding, when they cut you open and look at the gland, they leave a little bit on each side (to reduce craters), so they will cut out the appropriate amount on each side to now make the now very small gland symmetrical. So any good surgeon will do their very best to make your nipples symmetrical.

Offline whoknows

• Posting Member

I have the exact same thing, my right side has more gland than my left. I'm getting surgery in a month and my surgeon told me that she'll be removing more gland from my right. To my understanding, when they cut you open and look at the gland, they leave a little bit on each side (to reduce craters), so they will cut out the appropriate amount on each side to now make the now very small gland symmetrical. So any good surgeon will do their very best to make your nipples symmetrical.

ah okay thanks for the response. when you say "more gland", dont they completely remove the gland so its not there? I always thought it was like that

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The glandular tissue usually became enlarged because of an "event." Most commonly suspected is a period of time in early puberty when the hormones were erratic. In all likelihood, that will not happen again.

The gland is not completely removed. If it was, there would be an unsightly crater.

Pick your surgeon carefully, then give them your trust.
Grandpa Dan

DrBermant

I'm going to my doctor to tell him im getting surgery - he says its premature to think about that, im 18, done a considerable amount of things to get rid of it (non-hormonal). I've had it for at least 3 years as I can remember. It bugs me on a day to day basis, but more so hour to hour. Anyhow...

I help many Teenagers with Gynecomastia. Gynecomastia that has not resolved by 2 years typically does not.

There is a thin muscle under the areola that flattens puffed nipple gynecomastia when stimulated.

Contour after surgery depends on the problem to be treated, skill of the surgeon, what was done, and many other factors.  Results on my website are typical for my patients.

Uneven, unilateral, and one sided gynecomastia are common variations.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline MSJ108

It might go away on its own in the next year or two. Then you save yourself the risk of surgery, the money, and the scars.

DrBermant

It might go away on its own in the next year or two. Then you save yourself the risk of surgery, the money, and the scars.

Gynecomastia that does not go away by 2 years typically does not resolve on its own.  A patient waiting longer can also suffer emotional scars that are better prevented with timely surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024