Author Topic: Testicular torsion at age 4/5 & gynecomastia  (Read 3077 times)

Offline jayroboy2005

I have what I'd consider a fairly mild case of gynecomastia with both glandular and fat tissue present. I call it mild because it doesn't really affect my daily life, but it still bothers me and I wouldn't go out in public without a shirt and I have a moderate degree of touch apprehension, which I attribute to the gynecomastia.

Anyway, a few months ago it occurred to me what is probably the cause of my gynecomastia. I'm 22 years old now, but when I was in kindergarten, a girl pushed me down the slide and my testicles hit a rock. I don't have a lot of memory of the situation because I was only 4 or 5 years old at the time, but later that day I was taken to the hospital and had emergency surgery for testicular torsion caused by blunt trauma. That's about all I know about it since it happened so long ago and it's never really been a topic of conversation as I've gotten older haha. But I'm wondering what the long term effects of that injury were. From what I know, the surgery was supposedly successful. I still have both testicles and everything down there seems to function correctly on a surface level. But to this day I wonder if there was any permanent damage that could have led to some kind of hormone imbalance and thus gynecomastia.

Does anyone have any advice for what I should do about this? I realize at this point the gynecomastia is probably permanent without cosmetic surgery since it's been there probably since I was 12 or 13, but I wonder if some kind of hormone test would be appropriate. Anyone ever heard of people in my situation going on some kind of hormone therapy? I feel like that's probably something I don't need seeing as there are no real apparent lasting effects of the injury that get in the way of my life aside from gynecomastia. But I wonder if it could cause any other general health problems.

Looking forward to what you guys have to say about the situation. Thanks in advance.

Offline nick24

• Bronze Member
Im not sure, I fell off a roof then developed gyne, maybe I hurt my nuts too when that happened.  ???

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I very much doubt that the trauma you sustained at age 4 or 5 has anything to do with your present gyno.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline jayroboy2005

I very much doubt that the trauma you sustained at age 4 or 5 has anything to do with your present gyno.

Dr Jacobs

Couldn't it have caused damage that wouldn't have manifested itself until puberty, considering it was an injury to a major hormone gland?

Offline Plarkin

• Bronze Member
I actually have wondered the same thing, but my incident happened around the age of 11-12, just before puberty. Got hit by a baseball. No surgery. But, hell, I still remember it. Left nut still seems a little squishier and small and misshapen. But three endos over the years have said, no normal. Is all that they ever say?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024