Author Topic: Karidis pics - almost 1 year on!!  (Read 23619 times)

Offline regularguy

• Posting Member
  • Gyne removed surgically March 2010
best of luck to your op niguy13.

thanks to your post i'm going to Dr. Karidis for my first consultation soon. i live in the netherlands and couldn't find an experienced dr for my gyno situation. i have mild gyno like you and it's been bugging me for 20 years (now i'm 35). it's encouraging to see all the posts in this site especially yours and all the support in this forum.

looking forward to your recovery pix!

Offline niguy13

• Bronze Member
cheers Regular guy - i'll try to post as much before and after pics as possible. Keep me updated on how things work out for yourself pal.

2 days pre-op!

6 years of fighting tooth and nail with the NHS, countless hours of overtime and 4k later. For every look strange look i have had, for every piece of clothing i've been afraid to wear and for the all the complaining my partner and children have put up with. This ones for you ;D

Well i've nothing left! I honestly cannot do anymore in terms of preparation for the op. I have stayed off alcohol. Keep myself fit and ate good wholesome food. Tomorrow I'm off to London to get prepared for the op on Tuesday. I've to be at St Johns hospital at 7:30 which is a short walk from my hotel. I'll leave an extra 30 minutes to savor the last time i'll walk around as a gyno sufferer. My flights at 10:30 so early start and all (not that that is helping me sleep tonight. :) ) So this is my last post before the big day. Hopefully the next time i post (probably Thurs 26th all being well) i will be on the fabled 'other side' and can start the hard work of healing ;) . Once again thanks to everyone who has posted or followed my thread. You've all been a great source of inspiration with your stories and support. One last thing i want to say to anyone with Gyno who is struggling to live with it. Get it done. I don't care what you have to do to get it done. Life is too short to be worried about your chest and to be taking unnecessary flak from others for the way you look. I hope everyone reading this will someday be in the same position as me.

All the best.

To Dr. Karidis (to quote another post i've read) > get your knifes sharpened ... im on my way!

Offline iceni

Best of luck for Tuesday niguy13 as you say give Mr Karadis some practice so he is on top form for you  and then for me on saturday !!By then you'll be gyno free !!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline niguy13

• Bronze Member
Surgery complete!  :)

All done. Wooohooo. Delighted.

Well. Here is a run down of how things went:

Got to St johns a bit early, about 7 or so. My admission time was 7:30am. I hung around outside - listened to some music and watched the passers by on their way to work. I checked the time - it was about 7:20 so i gave my girlfriend a call and told her i was on my way in. So in i went and gave my name to the receptionist. He told me to take a seat and someone would be along to get me. He came back around 5 minutes later and asked what time my admission was. I told him 7:30am but he said 'that's strange, we have you down for 10:00am'. He called Karidis's office and soon after a man (Matt or something like that) came and brought me up the lift to the 1st floor and the surgical day care section. He told me not to worry about the time the receptionist mentioned at the front door as they don't often tell Dr. Karidis's office when 'they change things!' ( i can only assume that this had something to do with Mr Ks office not actually registering me with admissions - see pre-op day 5 for more on that). Anyway i went into the room as pictured below and my gown/pads/plasters/slippers were on the bed. Matt left me to get settled and 20 minutes later a nurse came in and we went over some paper work and she took next of kin details and my blood pressure and pulse rate (120/68 and 70 on the pulse rate i think). She mentioned that Mr K hadn't arrived yet but would be along soon. I asked if she knew what time i would be going down and she said i was 4th on the list (when i booked originally i was told i was second- again i can only put this down to the admission/ Mr K office mix up!). So she told me to get changed> i did and put on my DVT socks and slippers and gown and kept my boxer shorts on. Then i sat and i waited.

Round about 9 or so Mt K arrived. Asked how i was and told me to take my top off so that he could get some snaps. I asked him how he was feeling, to which he replied 'don't worry, I'm on good form' >  ;D i was glad to hear it. He drew on me then with his felt tip and asked was there anymore questions. I just asked the main one again. 'Do you believe you can take it away?' He reaffirmed he could and told me i would see Mr Jessop? the anaesthnetist and with that he was off.

Shortly after Chantelle (his assistant) came in and went over some more details about the anaesthetic and what would be happening. She told me that Mr K was working behind today so it would probably be between 10am and 10:30am when i was called - she told me to relax and wait. So i did - i watched real rescues (lots of accidents etc probably wasn't what i needed to see) and homes under the hammer zzzz. All the while i was growing more anxious to get going. The original nurse came in again and provided me with my paper pants  :o . So i was well and truly geared up to go. Chantelle then returned to apologize again and said that Mr K was longer than expected on his first op and the second one was heading down now. She joked it would definitely be done today. I gave a nervous chuckle and asked what time she though i would be done. (By now i had watched all of this morning too - zzzz!) She told me it would be between 1pm and 1:30pm. I wasn't best pleased but decided i could wait another few hours. I think what annoyed me most is that i could have had breakfast that morning considering i was up at 5:30am   >:( .

It came to about 12:15 and a heard a knock on the door. A small nurse came in and told me Mr K was ready for me ??? and to put on the thick gown (like a thick night gown). So i put that on and followed her. I was slightly nervous but there was no thoughts of backing out. To be honest not much went through my head other than 'this is it!'. We got the surgical lift to theater level  and took a left. It was quite busy down there (freezing too!  :-\ ). We stopped at the door and the nurse looked in. I kept my eyes well averted, i knew seeing the tools would make me more nervous  :'( ! Mr K then came out talking to the nurse and showed me and her to the correct door. He was all kitted out obviously and gave me a reassuring pat on the shoulder. I went into a smaller room next door and listened to the clattering. An older nurse came from the theater doors and introduced herself as the anesthetists assistant (the nurse left). She told me to loosen the gown and hop onto the bed. I did. She took my blood pressure/pulse and stuck a few of the ECG? stickers on me. She pulled the blanket up over me and told me to take off the gown. So i lay there naked with my paper pants and the blanket around me and we chatted away. She put pads around my shins which she told me inflated before surgery to protect my legs etc. She went over my details, confirmed the last time i ate and the op i was having and confirmed my signature on the forms. I asked her would he go in by the hand or arm, she looked at my veins and said you've good veins so he should go in by the arm. Good to go. Enter Mr Jessop, an elderly man, really friendly. He got to work straight away. Tied some elastic material around my arm and inserted the IV into my hand. I looked at the nurse who smiled having got it wrong  :P . Mr Jessop then took a larger syringe and said ok, here we go. I asked was this the gear to knock me out. He said no, this would just make me feel a little light headed. In it went and 5 seconds later i felt it sweep over my head and a nice mild buzz. The last thing i remember saying was 'whooaaa, i can feel that now'.

What seemed like 2 seconds later was actually an hour and 30 minutes. i opened my eyes and i was in a recovery room. There was a nurse sitting close by and i vaguely remember words being spoken as my eyes opened and close. I recall another other patients in the room of about 8 beds or so. I asked was it all done. I couldnt believe it was over , i didn't know they had started. Yeah all done they said. They removed my oxygen mask and brought me to my room and told me to shimmy onto my bed. i got a cuppa, followed by lunch and drank lots of water. The came and disconnected my drip and continued to take my blood pressure. i couldn't feel any pain but knew that something had gone on. Hard to describe really. Chantelle returned and told me they had taken 20g of gland and 250ml of fat ( i could be wrong on those figures! ). She ran over post op instructions and i got changed. They came and gave me my medications and i left shortly after 4pm. I have to say i felt great for the first few hours and walked the 15 minutes or so back to my hotel. Although I felt fine, i remembered the advice of some of the posters on the board (i.e thetodd) and took it easy regardless. I took some Arnica that night and two of the lightweight painkillers (co-drydamol?) and stayed away from the hard stuff (tremadol). I ate some pineapple and pasta salad and had an uncomfortable upright sleep.

Offline niguy13

• Bronze Member
1 day post op.

That is the best sentence i have ever typed on this site! ;D

I woke up this morning and asked my brother why he had been sitting on my chest all night while i slept. He said he hadn't! Then i remember the op... only joking of course. the pain was I'd say a 2-3 out of 10. More uncomfortable than painful. My throat was a bit dry, i felt a little headed and dehydrated. I got some breakfast and made my went for a brief walk. I starting feeling really ill after being out for 5 minutes. My stomach felt cramped and i felt very nauseous. I sat down for a while and popped my anti-biotic ( they give you 3 to take the day-after the op). I took more Arnica and 2 more Co-Drydamol. I began to feel a little better. I traveled around London and then made my way home. Now home and all done. Eating lots of Pineapple and taking my Arnica and just generally taking it easy. I still feel a little jaded and restricted in my movement but I'm able to move about the house. So relieved its over. I've changed the dressing but decided to wait until the morning for a shower. I'm so pleased with my chest and the results. I will take more pics as the days progress but check these ones out and let me know what you think.

I'm not taking anything for granted as there's a long way to go but if my results stay pretty similar to what they are now then i will be over the moon. My t-shirt looks so flat on me  ;D and i cant stop smiling!

Offline niguy13

• Bronze Member
Heres the last before pics i took in the bathroom at the hospital  ;D

Offline niguy13

• Bronze Member

Offline niguy13

• Bronze Member

Offline niguy13

• Bronze Member

Offline niguy13

• Bronze Member
the dreaded paper pants and compression vest > post-op pics!  ;D

Offline niguy13

• Bronze Member
Post-op chest!!! My right side is a lot more swollen (although the left hurts a bit more...  ???) Apologies, these pics aren't the best but i'm chuffed with the results and hope to get some better ones up over the next few days. If anyone wants to ask any questions go ahead.  :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 04:13:01 PM by niguy13 »

Offline niguy13

• Bronze Member
some more from this morning!

Offline niguy13

• Bronze Member

Offline THEMIX

• Posting Member
Hi niguy
I'm in the same stage, had it done with Karidis on the same day as you. I went in at one thirty or so.
It looks great, mine is not so great yet, I had a bit more lipo closer to the armpit and its a bitt more swelled there and the chest no sweeling and very very flat. It is all like was expected so not worried.
Got no pics though, I will with time, just feeling to raw right now.
I just wanted to say hi and thanks for keeping this diary so up to date and flawless. I read your posts and it felt that your words are the same I would have written.
Wishing you the best on your recovery.

Offline niguy13

• Bronze Member
Thanks mate - you were going in then as i was coming out - does Mr K ever stop for lunch haha?

Glad to hear everything is good with you and we're both on the other side now. All good. My results feel like the calm before the storm. I'm expecting things to change the next few weeks but as i've said if my results end up close to the current result then i'll be more than happy. My clothes just look so different and my belly has never looked so big!  :o  ;D

I would say to take pics whenever you can, even if you don't post them, they may be invaluable in the long run.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024