Author Topic: IS there swelling that goes down weeks after surgery?  (Read 3269 times)

Offline therealdeal065

I had the surgery and a week later im not satisfied with the resuluts..They still protrude..Is there swelling that goes down weeks after surgery that will make a noticible difference.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Absolutely yes.  Swelling is very individual -- it varies with the surgeon's technique as well as the patient's response to surgery.  And it all greatly depends upon the patient following the surgeon's post-op instructions very carefully.  Among those are an admonition to wear a compression garment.

Be patient -- a week is much too early to judge the results of your operation.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

I had the surgery and a week later im not satisfied with the resuluts..They still protrude..Is there swelling that goes down weeks after surgery that will make a noticible difference.

1 week is very early after some surgeons operations.

Posting Standard After Gynecomastia Surgery Pictures can help others better understand your concerns.

How much Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery depends on the problem to be treated, the damage caused by your surgeon's technique, after surgery care, After Surgery Compression Garments, complications, and many other factors.

You can see what I mean by looking at the tissue evolution on a gynecomastia vs. a more extensive Male Mastopexy Chest Lift. In the ideal situation, there is not much swelling to begin with. Then with other factors in place, peak swelling can be in the operating room. That is what happens for my patients.  When there is swelling after any injury, the swelling component can go down as long as the tissue is not further injured. That is one key factor for the compression garments, they protect, compress, and stabilize the healing tissues.

When swelling is due to residual tissue left behind, that factor will not go down. Here are but a few of the many unhappy patients I have seen with that problem:

Such questions are best directed to your surgeon. Unfortunately, many surgeons do not post early after surgery pictures leaving inquisitive prospective patients foraging forums like this one to find such early recovery examples.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:49:24 AM by DrBermant »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024