Author Topic: Using tape to press down nipples  (Read 42649 times)

Offline zazzy

• Posting Member
I feel really awkward when i am wearing a t shirt and as i am 6 feet tall i look more goofier hunching down aswell. As its really hot in the country where i live.. wearing a compression garment is a ridiculous idea. Once i went to college by tapinging up my nipples with transparent tape. This actually did press them down and the tape was not even visible. My chest looked absolutely cormal when the shirt was on. That day i spent a carefree and happy time at college.

However the problem lies that transparent tape gets off after about an hour or two. Is there any other type of tape which could be used , and stays on for longer and cannot be felt outside the t-shirt? Ive thought about this tape doctors use but thats just too thick i guess.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Any tape, even medical grade tape, if used for a prolonged period of time can cause irritation, which in turn can cause long-term pigmentary changes.  Those changes are difficult to treat.

Surgery, of course, can provide an answer.  But in the short term, you might be better off with a very snug compression garment.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

I feel really awkward when i am wearing a t shirt and as i am 6 feet tall i look more goofier hunching down aswell. As its really hot in the country where i live.. wearing a compression garment is a ridiculous idea. Once i went to college by tapinging up my nipples with transparent tape. This actually did press them down and the tape was not even visible. My chest looked absolutely cormal when the shirt was on. That day i spent a carefree and happy time at college.

However the problem lies that transparent tape gets off after about an hour or two. Is there any other type of tape which could be used , and stays on for longer and cannot be felt outside the t-shirt? Ive thought about this tape doctors use but thats just too thick i guess.

I have seen horrible permanent pigmented scars from those trying to use, even "medical grade" tape to hide their gynecomastia. I have patients in sweltering hot tropics, rain forests, and deserts wearing Body Shaping Compression Garments to hide their gynecomastia who tell me that the advantage of the garments vastly outweighs any possible heat issue. However, each to his own.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline INFO-MAN

HELLO.. i have had  since Ive been 13 yrs old.. I'm 28 now.. i just had my surgery as of 5-6-2010!!.. i know exactly how you feel.. i have used tape before.. just wearing an undershirt helps but i know sometimes the weather makes it hard.. i would often pinch and twist my nipples to make them shrink as if you were cold.. this works when you are walking toward people and need a quick fix just to get you through those few minutes of thinking people are looking just at your chest.. ;)..what you need to do if you have insurance is tell your doctor you are having pain when you lie on your stomach to go to sleep.  You might have to go back a couple times and keep complaining about pain.. then he will take notes and refer you to a general surgeon..NOT PLASTIC SURGEON.. because insurance doesn't cover that.. tell the surgeon it is painfull for you to lay down on your stomach and also when you touch your chest..telling little white lies are OK..remember the goal is to get the insurance to cover it.. you can also tell your doctor that you want insurance to cover it just so he knows.. you will have to pay a deductable but its alto cheaper than paying for the whole thing.. give it a try then get back to me..let me know how your Dr appointment goes..GOOD LUCK

Offline zazzy

• Posting Member
Thanks for the info infoman.. however we are not usually covered by insurance in the country where I live.. so aint i.  Anywaiz i wish you post helps someone who has insurance...

I am more interested in this liquid glue thing to compress puffiness.. but im unsure whether its available in a country like Pakistan where i live... are there any other names for liquid glue?.. i do not want to feel awkward explaining the pharmacy people why i want liquid glue or what it is...

Offline xoxoxoxo

• Gold Member
im also using tape but it's still visible :(

DrBermant

im also using tape but it's still visible :(

Tape is really a bad ides. Check out these Permanent Pigmentation Scars from Tape used to hide Gynecomastia. The body shaping garments also work better for contouring.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline xoxoxoxo

• Gold Member
but i'd rather use tape than having a visible gyno.. the scars is automaticaaly disappear after a few days. and there's not compression shirts here in philippines

DrBermant

but i'd rather use tape than having a visible gyno.. the scars is automaticaaly disappear after a few days. and there's not compression shirts here in philippines

Actually tape scars can be permanent. I have seen patients who had such scars many years after stopping using tape.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline xoxoxoxo

• Gold Member
so is there any way to remove those scars????

Offline junyea

• Posting Member
I used tape for about 3 years. I did begin to see a slight change in pigmentation. I read on this forum about the liquid bondage....I totally recommend it.

You can take your shirt off, and not worry about the tape being visible. you can wear white shirts and tank tops....

Keeps the nipple hard, and keeps the puffiness from returning.

Offline zazzy

• Posting Member
I am really eager to try the liquid bandage.. but im still worried how to approach the pharmacy for it.. as i live in a Pakistan and dunno if the pharmacy has it or they even know what i am talking about :S  .. is there any international brand name for it?

Offline Idlewild

• Posting Member
Just look for liquid bandaid/bandages. It won't seem weird to ask the pharmacist for it, many people use it when they get hurt on the beach or such.

Offline drdeadlift

• Posting Member
I did it all the time, especially when at the gym. I must have gone through 1 roll of micro pore a week.

Offline xoxoxoxo

• Gold Member
I did it all the time, especially when at the gym. I must have gone through 1 roll of micro pore a week.

micro pore is hard to manage right? most especially if you're using it at the gym.. i tried it..

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024