Author Topic: how much breast tissue is normal  (Read 4212 times)

Offline cloudblue

• Posting Member
Hey guys,

I was wondering....is it normal for men to have SOME breast tissue under their nipples?  For instance, are male chests (with very little body fat) supposed to just be nipples on top of pec muscle?

Thanks

DeeDubStyle619

I dont think there is a "normal" amount. Just as long as there isn't an excess amount. I hope that helps

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I would respond that probably 99% of us have a normal amount even though for many of us that is enough to be an embarrassment.

Normal is not a defined value, but a rather large range; to be considered Abnormal you'd need to be well outside that range.

Even if the question were reworded and you asked how much was average, it would be difficult to arrive at a very good answer.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Every male has some breast tissue beneath the areola.  In some, it is in great abundance -- and we call that gynecomastia.  In others, there may be just a very thin layer of breast tissue between the skin of the areola and the chest wall muscle.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Hey guys,

I was wondering....is it normal for men to have SOME breast tissue under their nipples?  For instance, are male chests (with very little body fat) supposed to just be nipples on top of pec muscle?

Thanks

All mammals have breast gland, it is a condition of being a mammal (both male and female.)  You can see typical Anatomy of Puffy Nipples will consist of gland, fat, and skin. Although fat tends to be soft and gland firm, fat can be firm and gland soft. Examination of the male chest alone will not distinguish gland vs. fat.

When this gland and fat components are trivial, the contour can still say male. When there is too much tissue on the male chest causing a female like breast like shape, this is gynecomastia.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024