Author Topic: Fielding and Compression vests  (Read 3190 times)

Offline dps

• Bronze Member
  • gyne free since july 2005 :D
Hey guys, i'm thinking of getting a compression vest from underworks, specifically the 990. I asked Fielding about this and he said that a compression vest is not necessary in his opinion. I am thinking since I am already spending a butt load of money on the surgery what's another 70 bucks for getting a good compression vest.

So questions are:

- Can I take the bandages off a day or two after surgery and wear the compression vest instead?

- If not, then how long before it's safe to take off the bandages and switch to the vest?

- I heard they put sponges under the bandages, how noticable are they under a shirt (half sleeve button up, untucked)? How long before I can remove the sponges?

Thanks.
[ photos ] :: [ diary ]

Offline KingCobra

• Bronze Member
  • La La La La Sing a Happy Song!
What's up bud? I had surgery last wednesday (22nd) so I will try to answer your questions.  I will also post separately about my surgery experience.

1.  You can't take the bandages off for at least 6 days.  The nurses specifically said not to remove it until the post op which was this tuesday for me.  So no compression vest for you.

2.  Look above.  At the post-op they gave me another tensor and wrapped it around my chest.

3.  Yeah man, they do put sponges with glue on your chest.  I have hair on my chest (which i trimmed) and the f--kin' things irritated me terribly.  I couldn't wait for my post-op so the damn things could come off.  To make matters worse the plain tensor wrap they put on at the post-op irrated me too.  

I gotta go again this coming Tuesday to have my stitches removed.  I'm not wearing their queer tensor wrap anymore.  I'm using a sleeveless Nike Pro Compression undershirt.  They fit really tight so the necessary 'support' should be there.  You may want to get this as you could probably buy it for alot cheaper than an Underworks shirt.

Offline Raven

• Silver Member
 I will also post separately about my surgery experience.

details Brotha Details!!!

Congrats on the surgery Kingcobra, tell us about your experience!!

Offline 3cheers

• Posting Member
I bought the Large 997 model and its was impossible to get on and off myself ???. I needed my wife to help me out. This is after I took the foams off. You wont be able to put it (997 model) if you still have the foams on. Plus since I am a litte chubby the vest dug into my under arm. I was expecting something a little more than I got.I would get an extra set of bandage  and wash it  (no soap) to make it less itchy. That was the biggest pain in the ass for me. ITCHY >:(!!!!!!! It drove me crazy.I had  a hard time sleeping because the bandage, the foam and tape was so ITCHY.
The Nike compression sounds like a great idea ;D.

3cheers :P

Offline dps

• Bronze Member
Thanks for the replies and congrats on the booking KingCobra :D, please keep us updated on post surgery results :).

How similar is the Nike compression shirt to underarmour garments? I ask because I started a thread on the general board about using underarmour as a substitute for a vest. The general consensus was that a vest is a better alternative as the underarmour doesn't provide the necessary compression.

Offline dps

• Bronze Member
I bought the Large 997 model and its was impossible to get on and off myself ???. I needed my wife to help me out. This is after I took the foams off. You wont be able to put it (997 model) if you still have the foams on. Plus since I am a litte chubby the vest dug into my under arm. I was expecting something a little more than I got.I would get an extra set of bandage  and wash it  (no soap) to make it less itchy. That was the biggest pain in the ass for me. ITCHY >:(!!!!!!! It drove me crazy.I had  a hard time sleeping because the bandage, the foam and tape was so ITCHY.
The Nike compression sounds like a great idea ;D.

3cheers :P

The 990, which is the model i linked above, seems to have some sort of an opening on the front so you can put it on like a vest. I would think that it would be easier to put on than the 997.

3cheers why exactly did you have a hard time putting it on? Was it too tight?

Offline KingCobra

• Bronze Member
  • La La La La Sing a Happy Song!
You can use UnderArmour as well too.  Make sure they are the really tight fitting ones though.  The idea behind Pro Compression and UnderArmour (I don't know what they call their compression wear) is that it should fit like a second skin.

One thing though bud, I forgot to answer one of your initial questions regarding concealing the foam pads.  You will have to wear a loose fitting shirt preferably with pockets for the 6 days until the foam pads come off, if you wish to step out of the house man.  Those foam pads and the tensor are really noticeable otherwise.  And did I mention the terrible itching?  :P
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 08:29:19 PM by KingCobra »

Offline 3cheers

• Posting Member
My chest measured 40' (before surgery)so I got the large.  It kinda looks like a muscle shirt and there is no opening in the front. It didnt stretch like a normal t shirt. Its made of some heavy duty nlyon thingamajig. It was tight. Maybe if you have a skinny body it might work out. I am 5"8' tall and 182lbs. Having said all that I wear the 997 vest to work. Its a little hot. And I took care of the vest digging into my armpit area by snipping the area with a scissor

:P

Offline dps

• Bronze Member
And did I mention the terrible itching?  :P

I am going to be a disappointed (happy ;)) man if the itching I have heard so much about, doesn't live up to expectations :D.

Thanks again guys for the replies :).

Oh KG I know all about Underarmour, that stuff has been a life saver for the past two years!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024