Author Topic: Surgery walkthrough...  (Read 2108 times)

Offline joshx21x

• Posting Member
I'm seriously considering surgery for gyno, but I'm not sure where to start.  My gyno actually isn't BAD BAD.  If I'm cold or just out of the shower, It looks relatively normal.  With the right type of clothes (undershirt, breast pockets, heavy materials) I can cover it up to a certain extent.  But I'm tired of it.  I'm 29 years old and it's affected me greatly my entire life.  I WANT to wear a tshirt out in public.  I WANT to go swimming.  I want to take my shirt off in front of a girlfriend without hiding my body.  I want to own more than 3 shirts.  Anyway, y'all get the picture.  I can't post pics yet, but from reading this board my gyno is mostly puffy nipple with some gland.  They don't sag or droop, but they stick out.  What would surgery entail?  In and out and just heal?  Would I be able to return to work in the next day or so?  Do I have to have the drainage tubes?  Compression vest?  I can't pay for the entire surgery up front, and I know insurance won't cover it, but what about finance plans?  Payment options?  I've browsed the boards, but I'm still unclear on the steps that need to be taken.  Blood tests?  One doctor or multiple?  Pain?  The pain doesn't bother me, but what about side effects?  Horror stories?  Will it return?  Also, I'm in the Houston area so please recommend any doctors in this area that could work with me.  Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Offline ddh

• Silver Member
Here's what happened to me:

1. Consulted with one plastic surgeon (not the best idea) and signed up.

2. Had to put a down payment (I think it was $1000 or $2000)

3. He sent me to a place for blood tests about a month before surgery (cost was covered by his fees).

4. Had to stop taking any anti-inflammatory drugs (like aspirin) and alcohol a week or 2 before surgery (I don't remember). Can't smoke either, if you do. Also had to make the final, full payment.

5. No eating 12 hours before surgery.

6. Day of surgery is nothing. You're put under and some one has to pick you up and drive you home.

7. I didn't have to take any of the pain meds he prescribed. I just took aspirin now and then.

8. Couldn't move my arms up much the first few days. Got final full movement of my arms in about 5 weeks. If you have a desk job, you can probably return to work in a few days. If you are a laborer, then it is probably more like 3-4 weeks, depending on your surgery.

9. Wore the compression vest day and night for a month.

10. The first two weeks had to sleep on my back due to tenderness, which was a bitch for me. It think it was the worse part of the whole experience.

11. I'm 7 months out and my chest is still changing a bit as the healing completes. It really takes months, just as they say here on the board.

Offline joshx21x

• Posting Member
Really sounds like hell.  Since my gyne is so moderate, It really makes me think about whether or not I want the surgery.  I'm at my heaviest weight in my life right now...235lbs.  When I was 17 or so, I was around 190lbs and I could "hide" my gyne by wearing two tshirts, as long as the top one was a dark color or thick material.  So, that's what I wore...plus a LOT of plaid.  If I could get down to 190lbs again my gyne, I believe, would be much more manageable.  I just worry so much about getting the surgery, going through all the hell, and a year later having mixed or bad results. 

DeeDubStyle619

What would surgery entail?  For puffy nipples, lipo suction with gland excision most of the time.

In and out and just heal?  It can take a while to fully heal,

Would I be able to return to work in the next day or so?  Depending on what you do, its possible.

Do I have to have the drainage tubes?  Depends on the dr. Some use them, some dont.

Compression vest?  I think most to every doctor uses these.

I can't pay for the entire surgery up front, and I know insurance won't cover it, but what about finance plans?  Most accept Carecredit. You may need a co signer.

Payment options?  Depending on how much you borrow, monthly payments vary.

I've browsed the boards, but I'm still unclear on the steps that need to be taken.  Blood tests?  If your gynecomastia has been stable for some time, some require some sort of hemmogram test. It depends on the doctor

One doctor or multiple?  A doctor, nurses, anesthesiologist, etc.

Pain?  I have heard its more of a discomfort. The meds usually do the trick

The pain doesn't bother me, but what about side effects?  Bruising, swelling, aches, pains.

Horror stories?  They exist, find the right board certified plastic surgeon.

Will it return? If your case has been stable, with no recent changes within 2 years or so, no it should not come back. It will only return if the underlying issue is not solved. Some cases are from puberty, and are never fully understood..

Offline drdeadlift

• Posting Member
Really sounds like hell.  Since my gyne is so moderate, It really makes me think about whether or not I want the surgery.  I'm at my heaviest weight in my life right now...235lbs.  When I was 17 or so, I was around 190lbs and I could "hide" my gyne by wearing two tshirts, as long as the top one was a dark color or thick material.  So, that's what I wore...plus a LOT of plaid.  If I could get down to 190lbs again my gyne, I believe, would be much more manageable.  I just worry so much about getting the surgery, going through all the hell, and a year later having mixed or bad results. 

My gyne was very mild, hardly even noticeable to anyone except myself, yet it has been the best decision I have made in my life. I wrote an account, check it out if you want, it covers my surgery in detail.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024