Author Topic: Surgeries a year?  (Read 2145 times)

DeeDubStyle619

A plastic surgeon in my area performs 5-10 gynecomastia surgeries a year, is this enough? What is the minimum amount of surgeries a year I should look for?

Offline hatey

• Posting Member
Some people may disagree, but I think a better 'measurement' of a surgeon's capabilities/reliability are the actual results themselves, not just how many surgeries he/she does in a year. Does the surgeon have any pre/post-op pictures that you can look at?

Offline kwl04

• Posting Member
I agree that their pre/post op pics are what they should be judged for and you need to choose who you feel most comfortable with. My personal opinion is: the more experience a doctor has at doing something, the better.  I feel like a Dr.'s cosmetic craft is just like a weight lifter or professional athlete, the more reps they get, the stronger they get at doing whatever it is they're working on.

Do your research, ask people on here about their Dr.s and their experience, ask to see tons of pics from your Dr. if he's not mentioned on this site and ask to see if you can talk to any former patients.  I've read a few horror stories on here about guys that haven't had a good result b/c they wanted to save a few bucks. 

Best of luck to you!

DrBermant

A plastic surgeon in my area performs 5-10 gynecomastia surgeries a year, is this enough? What is the minimum amount of surgeries a year I should look for?

I work with up to 8 gynecomastia patients a day. It is not quantity, but quality of the results that counts. That means not operating on anyone that walks through the door, helping explore the causes, stabilize problems, help understand why weight loss before has advantages vs. rushing into a compromise operation, and other such critical factors. It also means designing a sculpture that looks good living life in motion and from multiple angles. It means evolving the surgery to have minimal swelling, minimal bruising, and minimal discomfort after surgery with the fastest recovery possible.

Here is where I posted on how to pick a gynecomastia surgeon.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=16474.0

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
There was a time many years ago when I was an Air Force Medical Corpsman. Working in the ER, I would suture 15 or more traumatic wounds in the course of each week. I got to be pretty good at it.

Skills and training account for a lot, but current practice also counts for a lot. I wouldn't dream of suturing a wound now as I have not done it in many years. I still know how, but the skills are somewhat rusty.

Male breast reduction has become one of the most common Cosmetic Surgeries. Find someone well qualified who has lots of current practice with this particular type of procedure.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024