Author Topic: Is it worth having surgery to correct puffy nipples?  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Teenaged

• Posting Member
I have a mild case of gynecomastia.  I am in very good shape and have very little body fat, but I have a solid gland under each breast that causes my nipples to protrude.  Because I am already very fit, I think the gynecomastia is very noticeable. 

I am contemplating on whether or not I should have surgery to fix the problem.  My main concern with having surgery is how noticeable the scars will be afterwards and the possibility of deformed nipples.  I have heard of cases where people have the gland removed through surgery and then their nipples are cratered in or each nipple will be a different size or shape. 

However, as it is now, I am very embarrassed to take my shirt off in front of people and I avoid it at all costs.  I do not go swimming or go to the beach with my shirt off. 

I need help deciding whether or not surgery will fix my problem.  I just don't want to go through with surgery and have things be worse than before.  What is the best way to decide whether surgery is worth it?  Should people with mild cases of gynecomastia avoid surgery?

DrBermant

I have a mild case of gynecomastia.  I am in very good shape and have very little body fat, but I have a solid gland under each breast that causes my nipples to protrude.  Because I am already very fit, I think the gynecomastia is very noticeable. 

I am contemplating on whether or not I should have surgery to fix the problem.  My main concern with having surgery is how noticeable the scars will be afterwards and the possibility of deformed nipples.  I have heard of cases where people have the gland removed through surgery and then their nipples are cratered in or each nipple will be a different size or shape. 

However, as it is now, I am very embarrassed to take my shirt off in front of people and I avoid it at all costs.  I do not go swimming or go to the beach with my shirt off. 

I need help deciding whether or not surgery will fix my problem.  I just don't want to go through with surgery and have things be worse than before.  What is the best way to decide whether surgery is worth it?  Should people with mild cases of gynecomastia avoid surgery?

Surgery can make an awesome change for puffy nipple gynecomastia When The Doctor Has The Skills To Treat This Form of The Deformity. Not all doctors have the same skills. Look for actual examples of before and after surgery. This is it's own variation to such a degree I set aside its own section on my internet resources on gynecomastia. Be certain to check for flexing muscle views, videos of motion, arms up overhead or you may become another victim of what I have named the Puffy Nipple Complication of poor gynecomastia surgery. I have seen many patients with this deformity unhappy after surgery done elsewhere. This is not a rare problem at all when doctors do not understand the refined issues of this surgery. Take your time to carefully examine what a doctor results actually offer. Limited views on a web site can hide the actual remaining deformity that I have demonstrated on the many examples I have posted of patients unhappy after not doing their homework before considering surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery

If you have only had the nipple problem for a brief time (ie less than two years), then watchful waiting might be the best course of action.  You can mitigate the contour problems by wearing an appropriate body shaping garment.

If, however, it is established (ie more than two years), then most likely surgery will offer the best result.  But you must be sure to choose your surgeon carefully.  Research plastic surgeons who have demonstrated interest and significant experience in performing this operation.  Look at their before and after photos.  Do not rush into a decision.  Although this might seemingly be a "minor" problem -- it isn't.  It takes considerable skill and expertise to operate on a puffy nipple and leave a smooth, contour consistent with the surrounding skin and with a negligible scar.

Do your homework.  In the hands of a skilled surgeon, you should be just fine.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Chicago

• Silver Member
Another option is working on your self confidence and working on not letting it bother you, without having to have surgery.

I'm sure you're more concerned about it than anyone else is.

DrBermant

Another option is working on your self confidence and working on not letting it bother you, without having to have surgery.

I'm sure you're more concerned about it than anyone else is.

Actually many of my patients with even subtle puffy nipple gynecomastia have told me horror stories of being teased, having their breast grabbed and pinched, nasty comments by gym teachers, and many other embarrassing moments, such that it is not easy for all to ignore this contour issues. Yet, some with even much larger breasts just are not concerned. I have documented and published both sides on my resources. When the contour problem there, like the Emperor's New Clothes, it is sometimes hard to ignore. You can think something, but what others see can be an issue.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.

Offline Chicago

• Silver Member
I dont doubt that. But its pretty clear that there are tons of men with a wide range of "contour" issues that live their life no different than anyone else without surgery.

The OP asked if he needed to do something about his nipples. Its great two surgeons responded to him, but I thought it'd be nice to hear from a lay person who can testify to the fact that in my experience, its the person himself with the bigger issues than the weight of the entire public constantly judging and teasing them.

Some guys would think they'd get horribly teased and harassed if they wore a skirt in public. But here in the NW I see it ALL the time and no one cares. period.

Surgery might be the end option for someone. But even then, I'd suggest people work on their self image and confidence before feeling that the knife is the only redemption.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Chicago

You are correct -- everyone has the right to decide if they wish to live with the problem or not. 

The question that was originally raised
was a concern about possible consequences of surgery -- either scars or poor contours. 

Those concerns were addressed by my reply. 

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024