Author Topic: IMPORTANT (and desperate) -Gland Tissue Only?  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Newbie71

So I saw a doc, seemed cool, and he has a way to get insurance to pay. One catch:  he will only remove the breast tissue, no lipo.  I am overweight (5-10 and 210) and he said that once I lose weight, with the tissue gone, I won't have moobs.  Is this the right way to go?  Need feedback desperately.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
No way!!

When gyne is present, there is breast tissue interspersed with fat -- like interlocking your fingers together.  There is no way that "just gland" can be removed.  IMHO, lipo is an integral part of the surgery and without it, you would be getting half the result.  You might also be putting yourself at risk for a crater defect, since the surgeons who do "just gland" oftentimes leave a deficit.

True, insurance will only pay for excision of tissue, not lipo.  They ignore the proven fact that lipo is not just "cosmetic".  Liposuction instruments are instruments universally used for gyne surgery, just like a scalpel and a scissor.  They use the excuse that if lipo was used, then the surgery was cosmetic and hence not insurance reimbursable.

Insurance companies are not your friend -- they will do anything to avoid providing proper compensation for patients.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
I think of it in this way.  I recently had a shrub die in the front of my house.  It was only planted last year and didn't have established roots yet.  So I literally just pulled it out of the ground by hand.  After I pulled it out, you could easily see where the shrub was because there was a hole in the ground where the root ball was.  In order to make it look better, I went in and loosened up the soil where the hole was, and then spread it all around evenly.  After I was finished, there was no hint of where the shrub was.

I see the importance of lipo in much the same way as me loosening the dirt where the shrub was.  If all you do is remove tissue underneath the nipple, but then never use lipo to contour within the area you just excised, how in the world are you going to have a smooth result?  It's only logical that there's usually going to be some degree of crater when you remove the tissue, so lipo allows the surgeon to fill that void in a logical, healthy way. 

I can see why most surgeons consider it pretty much a mandatory technique.  It might not be absolutely necessary ALL the time, but I would think that it would generally be necessary in order to have the results you want.  A surgeon would at least need to have the option of having it available. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Raider Fan

I could not have put it better myself -- you truly understand.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Probably the best analogy I've seen in a very long time.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024