Author Topic: Parents think gyne surgery is a scam  (Read 2269 times)

Offline pancakes

• Posting Member
I am suffering from severe gyne. Doc Jacobs saw my picture too. I have told my parents that I might need Gyne surgery because it doesn't go away. They told me it will automatically go away when I lose weight. I have about 20kgs to lose before I can get accepted into surgery. I have already lost about 10 and my moobs are actually looking bigger since I lost some fat from my belly.

Any tips to tell them it won't go away and I need surgery? I am not dependant on them but they can finance it for me so I don't have to take out a loan, etc.

Offline Sonny

• Posting Member
Hi,

I would suggest that you give them evidence that you have actual breast type tissue beneath the fat. Maybe you can prove this to them via visiting your doctor, or assuming you are comfortable getting them to feel it for themselves.

You can then evidence to them that simply losing fat will not get rid of your gyno. You can even show them before and after pictures of people on this forum who have had gland excision.

Hope this helps.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is not uncommon for your breasts to appear larger after you lose weight.  Why?  Just imagine that your breasts contain both fat and breast tissue.  When you lose weight, the fat component will diminish but the breast tissue remains the same.  As you are losing weight, the remainder of your body also loses fat.  When you have lost the weight, your body is somewhat slimmer and your breasts (albeit somewhat smaller) will -- by comparison -- be even more apparent.

That is the difficulty that guys encounter when they are told "Just lose weight and it will go away."  It doesn't.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline pancakes

• Posting Member
That is the difficulty that guys encounter when they are told "Just lose weight and it will go away."  It doesn't.

That's my problem. When I lost the excessive weight/fat I will talk to them again. Most likely they will say I must do 200 bench presses a day.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
And that, indeed, is the other misconception.

Building your pecs with pushups or chest presses will build muscle -- but do nothing about the excess tissue you have which sits on top of the muscle.  In fact, building muscle merely pushes the excess tissue out further, which actually can make your condition look worse.

I think your parents need some education.  Perhaps try to convince them to go with you to a plastic surgeon who could explain some of the fallacies they are touting.

Dr Jacobs

Offline pancakes

• Posting Member
They are now saying it will go away because they saw people in 'the biggest loser' lose their chest.

I'll drop another 10 kg's so I look slimmer and then tell them it's not going away. Otherwise I'll finance it myself.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Do they actually believe in those reality shows?

I wonder what kind of compression garments they use on the people who have lost so much weight in such a short time.. The need for skin reduction after serious weight loss is common.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024