Author Topic: need a drs advice  (Read 1522 times)

Offline justjosh

Hello iam new here and have some questions.Iam a 41 year old male will puffy nipples.Ive been dealing with this issue since i was 13.It has affected my life very much.No swimming with out a shirt.No beach, embarassed to take my shirt off etc.very bad anxiety over this.But i have dealt with it all of these years.But now my son who is 12 is starting to develop this monstrosity.Today he said to me look dad iam starting to get more buff.I always thaught to myself that if this was genetic and he devolped this condition i would deal with it quickly to save him the years of embarresment and anxiety i dealt with.At this point and his age what can be done.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are a perfect example of what I have observed over many years -- that often gynecomastia has a strong hereditary component.  I have operated on brothers, fathers and sons, sons and uncles, two cousins, etc, etc.

As for your son, who is just starting to develop possible gyne, it is quite possible that it may grow a bit and then spontaneously subside by itself.  Would definitely not rush into surgery at this point.  Give it at least 2 or even 3 years and if it remains or even worsens, then consider surgery for him at that time.  I often operate on 14 and 15 year olds for this condition -- there is no need to wait until he reaches the "magical" age of 18 (as many pediatricians will urge you to do).

For the time being, you can help his shape by having him wear a snug compression (Under Armour or the like) shirt. 

And moist important, you can re-assure him that if it doesn't go away, that you are aware and concerned and will help him get rid of the problem.  That will go a long way to alleviate his emotional distress.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

PS  he's a lucky kid to have a dad like you!
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline xelnaga13

Great advice. I cannot begin to tell you how relieved I was when my parents told me at 14 that they would get me surgery so I didnt have to live with gyne forever.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024