Author Topic: Dr Jacobs - Flexing & Above Head (Bermant's Philosophy)  (Read 1897 times)

Offline gyno1234

• Posting Member
Dr Bermant cared very much about how the chest looked flexed or with arms above the head or in any other kind of animation (not just with arms relaxed, by the side).

To quote Dr Bermant:

"It should be able to look good living life, playing sports, swimming, and other activities with shirt off."

"Targeting gland first became critical when trying to make a result that looked good while flexing and raising arms up overhead. Try playing basketball or swimming with arms down at your side. Firm gland or scar tissue does not compress like fat."

I know that Dr Delgado urges you to consider the chest with arms by the sides, since this is how we view our chest most of the time. But I don't think I'm convinced. I want it to look good in all positions, like Dr Bermant.

I am impressed by Dr Jacobs' reputation and am nearly at the stage of booking the surgery... I just want to know if Dr Jacobs places importance on the appearance of the chest in all different positions, in flexing, animation etc. None of us live our lives with our arms always at our sides.

Dr Jacobs, does your sharp cannula technique reduce the risk of craters & deformities in all positions, flexing or not - since, instead of lifting out the gland, you're just contouring it? Also, what would you say about the second quote (since you do not go for the gland first)? I have seen so many people saying their chest looks good relaxed but when flexed or in animation, it looks deformed and indented. Was Dr Bermant the only PS who placed importance on this?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:01:36 PM by gyno1234 »

Offline gyno1234

• Posting Member
Also - can anyone who's had surgery with Dr Jacobs comment on what their chest looks like flexed, and with arms in different positions (above head etc.) not just with arms at sides?

Offline Viking75

• Bronze Member
Well I had surgery with Dr Jacobs. After the healing period I can say that It looked just fine flexing and having your arms over your head and everything.
Howerer I did not go through photos/filming before and after surgery in Dr Jacobos office. I had a pretty bad case!
Sure If I would look hard enough I could find something not perfekt! But "targeting the gland first" is just ONE way of getting to the goal. Many fine surgeons including Dr Delgado can get you there. 
Dr Bermant had his way of doing It and he was marketing himself good! He did great jobs! But just like other surgeons I think It would be impossible not to have misstakes or bad outcomes sometimes.

It is how you handle things like a bad outcome that that matters! Some surgeons would never admit to a mistake and leave you hanging, or even blame the outcome on you!!! not following his instructions and so on.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, of course I do pay attention to how the chest will look in all different poses.  But understand, the chest does change when muscles are flexed, when the arms are overhead, etc.  Just look at any men's muscle magazine and you will see significant changes in the chest appearance with different poses -- and some of those appearances are really not attractive.

Dr Delgado was right on when he said that if you remove most of the excess tissue (which is what most guys want}), then there will undoubtedly be some minor changes when the arms are elevated above the head.  Dr Bermant avoided this by leaving more tissue in place -- ie, doing an extremely conservative operation.  I know because I have seen some of his patients who came to me for additional surgery.  Viking75 was right: 
Dr Bermant had his way of doing It and he was marketing himself good!

In point of fact, I take extreme care to leave a smooth contour of tissue under the skin while, at the same time, removing virtually all of the breast tissue under the areola.  In fact, sometimes I use fat flaps during the initial operation to accomplish this.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024