Author Topic: A Preliminary Report to the Trustees  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
Having been in the group health business for 30+ years I would often write reports giving an overview of a problem and possible outcomes.  So let's take  this from the beginning so as to see all the ramifications.

First some significant percentage of teen aged boys develop some degree of nipple or breast swelling around puberty. Most are in the category of cup A-- or so.  A very few are significantly larger, like the D cups I grew up with.

Because of societal cultural assumptions, many of the teenaged boys are near hysterical if they even imagine that they might have a tiny bit of uneven nipple swelling.  Nobody is absolutely symmetrical, male or female, yet some get totally upset about it.  According to an outside article surgery as a solution has increased by 70% in this past year, up to a total of 5700_ cases in the USA last year.  Assuming an average total cost of surgery and followup and compression garments etc of $10,000 that comes to $57 million this year.  There is obviously no long term followup on most of these cases, certainly not lifetime followup.

Having just returned from 6 weeks at a nudist club I can see the real picture that everybody hiding in clothing isn't going to see.  It is  the dirty little secret totally hidden in plain sight as if there was a conspiracy to cover them up.  The truth of the matter is that when one is surrounded by men in their 40s and older without shirts on there is about 50% incidence of gynecomastia in the range of A- to D cup. So the teenager who has a pair cut off at 18 might have to repeat surgery at 40, at 50, at 60 and at 70 as hormones change, hair is treated for balding, prostate enlargement is treated, pain is treated, mood disorders are treated and some 70 other drugs, soaps, lotions and herbs etc are used all of which may increase male breast size, not to mention a gain in weight which leaves fat deposits in those two once again forbidden places on a mans chest.

The "pretty boys" who took nude pictures of me and made hundreds of copies distributed all over the schools of the area in the 1960s now all have gynecomastia.  The ultimate joke is that the fat they gave me such a tough time about (I graduated at 235lbs) and I am now 195 and they who graduated at 170 are now 250 lbs or so with breasts.  And now WE ALL HAVE BREASTS.  From what I have read here, the remnant can flower forth over and over again, and likely will.  There is no long term record.  The surgery is too new.  Most group health plans have "re-do" intervals.  So for a crown, the re-do interval is generally 5 years before the plan will pay again.  So for this how long a minimum redo period is needed?  If 1,000,000 teen boys decide they need their beginning breasts chopped off the cost is $10,000,000,000 a year and is that really where our healthcare dollars are best spent, on what amounts to psychotherapy by cosmetic surgery.  If they all need several redos through the years, we could be looking at lifetime costs of $50,000,000,000 per annual cohort with 50 or so such cohorts.  This comes down to potentially trillions of dollars lifetime costs for those currently alive if this form of body phobia continues to grow.  If this becomes popular it is a health plan buster.

What is upsetting is that those most eager and desperate for surgery are those with the least visible problem, the ones way down at the bottom 5 percentile on size as far as I can see.  These guys are beginning to sound like a skin and bones anorexic talking about being way too fat.  This is beginning to sound like a form of body dysmorphic disorder or outright phobia.

Anything in which the odds are 50% or so is NORMAL by definition.  So here we are medicalizing and converting a normal developmental occurrence into a psychological disorder that can't be cured.  At best a temporary fix is possible for many.  How many deaths from anesthesia, infection and other complications is worth the psychological relief?

The surgeons can't even give realistic long term statistics.  There are not any.  They don't know.  They are just trying to provide relief to an admittedly distressing psychological-sociological problem.  At 16 I was as desperate as any of these kids now

A few years ago Florida noticed that the fattest kids who needed exercise swam the least because of body shame at the pools.  So they designated 1 Saturday a month as the FAT DAY where fat kids could come and swim with other fat kids and everybody there would pretend they were normal for a day. You know, instead of "Queen for the DAY" its "Let's pretend you are not fat and accept you as normal  for today" Everybody should see the problem with that.  Separate and unequal doesn't work. What is needed is acceptance of the huge variation of bodies that is entirely normal instead of some standard designed by a set of  narcissistic idiots that serves to make 95+% unhappy with their bodies.

I violated the udderly forbidden.  I talked to dozens of people, male and female, with gynecomastia and without.  I did not speak to anybody who wasn't an adult about such matters.  Not a single woman was aware of the torture the men go through unless they were married to a guy with gyne and even then most had never found out the inner torture.  There was not a single woman who made any nasty remarks at all.  In fact virtually all were completely clueless.  "With half the men growing breasts as they age I just supposed it was normal and no big deal" was the most typical response.  When you see hundreds of people nude each year and watch as they age one gets a pretty good idea of normal aging.  Same goes for childhood to teen years.  Anybody growing up surrounded by seeing real bodies all the time will know what is actually normal.  Everybody is accepted.

Only ignorance of the real can come up with the puritanical, "nobody is normal" and "everybody should be ashamed" of their body" thereby giving every bully the perfect handle for taking on anybody insecure in their body.  Nobody at all ever bothers me any more in the textile world.  It's hard for the aging bullies to keep up the jr high harassment when they could put on the Hooters shirt themselves.  If they try, I make them look like silly has-been bullies.  The ultimate comeback was suggested to me by another nudist.  He said to say to a troublesome male "Well, you take off your pants and you can show us your micro-penis to go with your micro-brain".  We'll all feel sorry for you then instead of merely thinking you are an not a nice person.

I don't have any solutions.  The surgical option can be available until it gets too expensive.  Maybe this becomes one of those optional things in future health plans, one either opts into the optional coverage covering cosmetic surgery for the rest of their life or they choose the plan not covering cosmetic surgery.  Switching in later might require a 5 year waiting period for cosmetic surgery or something.  Clearly this will have to be settled and premiums paid appropriately as there are no free lunches.

This year one couple made a comment about me.  They appeared to be around 60.  The man asked his wife about my very obvious D-cups, more outstanding than ever having taken off 35 pounds recently.  She said" Well, that isn't ordinary fat.  It must be glandular".  And that was the end of it.  Something noticeable.  Something explained.  End of story.

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
I would expect that the payment by insurance for this gyne surgery will only be possible for a while.  If surgery for gyne becomes very popular insurers will have to pay attention to it and charge the appropriate premium and write rules.  It may be that all medically unnecessarily cosmetic surgery will be rolled into an optional add-on package separately priced with rules requiring a 5 year waiting period, otherwise the cost would be impossible.  If the only people buying said plastic surgery package were ones who wanted immediate surgery, the first months premium would have to be $12,000.  If a one year waiting period, $1000/mo.  With a 5 year waiting period or continuous coverage under parents plan then going to child's own plan, OR once opt in it is a lifetime choice, maybe $50-100/month for life.  It really depends upon what percentage of people want surgery and get it and how often.  If juvenile onset gyne then needs 4 redos for medication side effect and other causes during life, that is potentially a lot, and if that is coupled with excess skin removal, chin lifts, face lifts, forehead smoothing, hair transplants and who knows what else etc, maybe there is a low option and high option plan or a graded copay by year plan.  In any case the actuaries will have to determine the premium rate to cover this. 

It has always been very difficult to have insurance pay for elective  cosmetic surgery.  This becomes a very difficult problem to figure out how much to collect to pay for it.  There are no fee lunches.  Right now the cost to insurers are not even a blip on the radar.  But if incidence keeps going up it at this year's +70% it could reach a million a year in less than 10 years.  Each 100,000 occurrences will cost a billion or so and you take a billion here and a billion there and pretty soon you are talking about real money.  We could easily see 1,000,000 cases a year if such surgery becomes culturally mandatory.   At that cost if EVERYBODY paid a share that is about $5/month per person premium cost for lifetime.  However, it it is optional, and only men pay it or it is an optional benefit and it is a plastic surgery for non-medical breast removal and augmentation, face lifts and what not it might cost $100/month.  How many people would opt in? A $10,000 cost procedure to an insurance company means that these days they have to collect $12,000-13,000 to pay for it and profit on it and pay big CEO bonuses.

And all this for a procedure that almost never has actual medical benefit, has plenty of dangerous side effects up to and including infections and death, unknown redo rates  over a lifetime due to potentially dozens of drugs, soaps, lotions and herbs as well as very "thin" data" on those needing revision or even redo in the first few years following the procedure.  My 80+ year old father was almost killed by a botched elective surgery.  A 50 something year old friend dropped dead from anesthesia shock before the knife even touched him.  Rates of satisfaction are very short on data however, the odds look good that somebody skilled in this particular procedure will have higher satisfaction rates.   

I would expect in not too many years that there will be a DSM- X diagnosis, the psychological disorder manual, and for surgery authorization one would have to have the proper diagnostic code indicating that the psychological effects are severe enough to warrant surgery as an alleviation method.  I don't know that it will go that way, but it will require a suitable diagnosis code of one kind or another to collect on insurance.  The more popular it gets the more difficut qualification will become.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:44:31 PM by Alchemist »

Offline wbw0124

• Posting Member
A fashion staple of the '80s era, Leggings And Tights have made their way back in a variety of solid colors and prints, made of almost any fabric that can be found to stretch. Besides the standard solid black leggings, zippers, buttons, studs and crystals can be found on the cuffs. Leggings can be sheer or opaque, smooth like tights or textured like cable-knit.

Offline TigerPaws

A fashion staple of the '80s era, Leggings And Tights have made their way back in a variety of solid colors and prints, made of almost any fabric that can be found to stretch. Besides the standard solid black leggings, zippers, buttons, studs and crystals can be found on the cuffs. Leggings can be sheer or opaque, smooth like tights or textured like cable-knit.

???? ???? ????

Offline xelnaga13

???? ???? ????

I'm thinking it's a new highly irritating trolling technique.

Offline TigerPaws

???? ???? ????

I'm thinking it's a new highly irritating trolling technique.

People like that need to get a life.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024