Author Topic: Surgery with Karidis Done! - With Pics  (Read 21580 times)

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
I wasn't even tired after I woke up, I had stingy eyes but I attributed a lot of that to the previous night's kip - fail.  I just felt nice and chilled as if I could go to sleep if I wanted but was high on drugs too of course ;)  I slept when I got home, I was awake all the way home in the car.  My friend was like,."Are you sure you had a proper GA?"

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
Sounds like you've been lucky with the GA side

I live about 4 hours on a train from London so im thinking it might be worth booking a hotel as you did, just incase im not so lucky...for the sake of £100 i've got piece of mind i guess

Did you have to wait long between the consultation and the actual surgery?

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
I had my consultation July 18th and the soonest date I was offered was Sept 4th  But had to book a later date as I had a wedding to attend on the 7th. 

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
Reasonable time frame i guess, should see me being able to get in around the 1st or 2nd week in Dec

One thing i was interested in asking you was about the blood test, did you get it done with him or via the NHS?

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
I read somewhere you can pay for a night stay in the hospital?  Wouldn't be cheap if you can.  But I have also read folk say they regretted stopping an extra night due to the fact you kinda need your own surroundings after an experience like this. If my friend never offered, I was just gonna get First class back about six o'clock.  Stay in clinic till kicking out time (5 I think) I would have had a 3hr train journey and then a taxi for 20 mins from station had I gone that way.  

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
You feel you woulda been up to that journey yea? Because thats what i was thinking with the first class thing too =/

I'll have someone with me after the op, i know they can be a bit funny with you leaving on your own after a GA after just a few hours

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
Ahh right, the bloods.  Well I was lucky, my GP's surgery had phoned me and asked if I wanted to come in for a health check, including bloods a month or so before my consultation, so I waited and rang them back.  They said you can book these things anytime, they are 5 yearly.  I asked if I could also have these results for surgery purposes, the lady on the phone "Oh yeah, just ask Rebecca"
Rebecca - "Oh those are special tests, well two of them"  But she did them for me, but told me she couldn't send them off or I would get charged 50 quid.  I just had to call in a week later, get a print out and sent to Karidis, by special delivery, cost me a fiver in the end ;)

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
Sure, I woulda got the train if I felt up to it.  Obviously if I was a wreck, it would have cost me, but loads of guys have done it with 4-5hr journeys.  You have come so close, I think pure adrenaline would get you through any tremors.

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
lol nice touch, i'll have to ring them up, i got a letter saying my doc is going to retire at the end of this month so maybe my new doc will want me to have a check up, i'll have to see if i can sort something similar out

After spending months lurking these boards and reading every post of every board i feel like i know most of what i need to know before i've even met the guy

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
They might just do em if you ask nicely too, but you might have to divulge, I just showed my letter I got from the clinic.  It has the 3 tests required written on it.  With regards to gleaning knowledge from this site, mate...I would never have done it without this forum...never! 

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
True, cheers for your help

I'll be poping in to see how your going and update on mine when the time comes

This forum has been the big motivation for me to act

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
Didn't sleep for long last night either.  Seems these painkillers were also keeping a stotting headache at bay ;(  So was back up after 4.5 hrs but once I'd knocked X2 Co Dydramol into me, everything went a bit soft.  

Had another shower today and used my second vest for the first time, Christ! Thought they'd given me the size below for a minute.  How they got me into one of those in theater, I'll never know ;)

Still pretty comfortable though, slight improvement on yesterday.  Can fling tee shirts over my head etc.  

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024