Author Topic: Doctor hall of shame list suggestion  (Read 1682 times)

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
Hello.

I was wondering if the owner of the website would consider a list of doctors hall of shame for doctors to avoid or if that would be an issue?

I would love to think that all doctors which a medical degree from any American college would have a certain abilities and perform a good job unfortunately this is not the case.

For example Dr. Jan Adams once had his own TV show with cosmetic surgery, given multiple awards, promoted by people like Opera and even attended Harvard(on Affirmation action) was dangerously unqualified to even be a doctor. He mutilated his patients, left instruments inside them,etc... Eventually they look away him medical license and put him in jail.

I even looked at a doctor in Las Vegas who had video about his charity work to victims of Jan Adams.

There was another doctor in South Florida who had alzheimer's and would walk out of the operating room for hours during surgery and killed a number of people.

There was another doctor who said he specialized in gynecomastia, had a great website with what looked to be fantastic results however when I researched him on another website he had absolutely horrible reviews.I would have never guess from looking at his website.  

The list would not have to be anything dramatic but maybe just a warning about bad doctors to avoid who have performed very bad gynecomastia surgeries.

Anyway, just my 2 cents, maybe there is a legal issue involved in this. Just an idea. Thanks

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
If only it was that easy.

The problem is that the laws of libel and slander get in the the way. A person would get into such a legal tangle that you could not dream of.

This is why the advice is given over and again here to research your surgeon. The first thing to look for is Board Certification which does not come easily.

Anyone can claim to be a cosmetic surgeon, and there are people do make that claim while not being truly qualified. Board Certification cannot be faked.

The other issue is one of fairness. When I moved to my new home several years ago I looked at the reviews of local hospitals and clinics. I was looking for a facility "just in case".  Shocked at the number of really bad reviews, I had a moment of inspiration and looked up the reviews of my old hospital where I had always recieved excellent care. The reviews were horrid. Especially of the Emergency Room. My own experience was the the ER practiced very good triage and true emergencies were dealt with very quickly. On the other hand, a person with a minor ailment that should have seen their family doctor three days ago will be in for a long wait. In short the reviews were actually worthless and misleading.

I think it is best that this site does not go there.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Paa_paw nailed it.

The problem with online reviews is that most people who write reviews are unhappy about something and want a place to express themselves.  The many people who are satisfied with their doc/hospital, etc simply do not bother to write reviews.  Furthermore, if a negative review is posted for a doctor, it is very difficult to write a rebuttal due to HIPPA (privacy) regulations.  Hence the doctor's hands are tied and the negative review is the only review that is seen.

Reviews are OK -- but put them into perspective when evaluating anything.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024