Author Topic: 6 weeks post surgeries - good/bad and lessons learned  (Read 1503 times)

Offline rhyno18

• Bronze Member
I'm official 6 weeks post op....still early in the process, but not too soon to start getting some 20/20 hindset about the process.

Background - I'm in my early 40s and had conditions since a teenager and got tired of how shirts looked on me, never going shirtless and wearing the tightest undershirt I could find - even when it was 100* out.

I would describe my condition as moderate to severe.  (Though reading these sites, I think a lot of it is based on perspective. Everybody thinks their condition is bad and anybody who has a milder form is 'lucky'). At 5'10, 205, I'm about 20 lbs over weight - but had big firm moobs (at least a solid b cup) that protruded at 45 degree angle.  Making it worse, my nipples always seemed hard which made me incredibly self conscious.

I ended up going with a board certified PS who had been recommended by a friend who was a doctor.   Now one mistake I made was getting a 'general' recommendation, out of embarrassment I didn't share that it was for gyne.

The guy had a good reputation and answered all my questions, so I felt very confident in my decision.  He told me he felt a fairly significant excision should get the desired results.  I wanted to have realistic expectations and specifically asked what the desired result was given my age, build, skin elasticity - and he said 'completely flat' was our goal.

After the surgery he went to waiting room and told my wife that it went well, though he ended removing 'a lot' of tissue.

A few days later I had my appointment to get the drains removed.   Now I had steeled myself to go in with low expectations. By all accounts it's months before the final results are achieved.   But after unbuckling the vest, I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a bit disappointed.

There was still quite a bit of mass.  More disturbing, there was a horizontal indention across the right side.  But they assured me it was a lot of swelling and recovery and just stay the course.

Other than going in to get an additional draining done, I wore my vest and took it easy for a month.

My feelings started to change in my follow up this week.  The left side still feels like there is quite a bit of tissue, almost in a ridge shape under the nipple.  You can press a finger and make a 1/4 indention.  It looks especially bad when I bend over. The right side is a bit flatter, but still has the indention and more troubling makes a crater shape when I lift my arm.  (When I lift my arm the right side actually looks really good.)

Additionally, in certain motions the muscle of my chest almost look like an invisible strap is across my nipples that retracts pushing the skin over and over the nipple out.  (like pulling a belt across a pillow)

On the plus side, the general large mass is gone - I know longer have the outwardly protruding moobs that drove me crazy.

What was concerning was that my PS seemed to have the attitude of 'Mission Accomplished'.  Despite sticking his finger in the left mass and seeing the indention, he felt like he'd done a good job.  He gave me a copy of my before pictures and comparatively speaking there was a significant difference.

He said what's left is similar to fluid in a sponge in that over time it will get better. 

So I'm trying to be patient.  My next follow up isn't until January.  But I have a feeling that what I'm ending up with is a better situation, but not the desired outcome.  More concerning is that my doctor seems dismissive of my concerns.

I'm really hoping that I'm just being impatient and that he knows that over time the swelling will go down and the outcome will be fine.  (When I push on the skin that feels swollen it still feels a bit irritated...I catch myself hoping that's a sign it's swelling and not tissue.)

But in some ways I find myself wishing I'd did a bit more research and maybe pursued someone who specialized in this.  (This doctor claims he does 25+ of these a year for the past 5 years, but who knows)

Offline thetodd

Six weeks, in terms of recovery honestly is nothing. Realistically you wont be fully healed untill a year has past.

You are currently at the worse point of the recovery process. The spongy fluid hes talking about is scar tissue, and really you should be massaging it did he mention this?

Dont analyse it, it will drive you mental. Just try and eat healthily and start massaging (as your surgeon first though). Dont get to stressed about it, these things can be fixed and if you arent happy with the end result then revision is an option.
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline rhyno18

• Bronze Member
That's a good point. I do need to keep perspective and try to be patient.  He didn't mention anything about massage, but it's something i'll start doing.

I'm trying to remain optimistic.  It's just frustrating that the major concerns (crater and ridge on one side and mass on the other side) have been there since the first post op visit....with little to show that it's going to change.

I'm just going to try to forget about it for awhile and see where it goes.  It't not like anything could be done about it until next summer at the earliest. 

I'm also trying to take a glass half full approach.   It's a LOT better than it was.   It's nice to wear a shirt without being conscious the pointy moobs underneath it.  I can live with the crater and ridge.  It's not ideal...but it sounds like fixing it is a pretty major revision.  Hopefully the mass of the other side is swelling and will go down. If it doesn't improve significantly, I would want to do revision.

The question then becomes if I use this doctor or not.  I'm assuming there isn't a second surgical fee for a revision procedure.  (Is that assumption correct...I mean ideally I would think the doctor would cover the anesthesiology and surgical center fee if it's correcting his procedure...but maybe that's wishful thinking.)

But hopefully it won't come to that...

Offline Xavier

• Bronze Member
Im 10 days post op and I feel the same. One day your chest looks like you didn't even have surgery and one day it looks great. I can't imagine still having swelling after 6 weeks... I am only 10 days post op and the recovery is also requires mental strength....

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024