Author Topic: Surgery with Levick 24th Oct. NO DRAINS USED!!  (Read 6659 times)

Offline Vesuvius

• Posting Member

Offline Vesuvius

• Posting Member
Hope you find the pics useful guys. As you can see I have some nice green bruising going on!! Also you will see that a good amount of gland was removed.

Offline Vesuvius

• Posting Member
Hey guys, can you see the pics? I posted them last night but I'm not sure they are visible. Would appreciate if you could let me know! There should be four of them...

Recovery is going ok. I've just had a shower and couldn't wait to get my vest back on! It may sound strange  up I feel really vulnerable without it on!

My cuts are healing nicely and so small. Honestly, I really have to look hard to see them so I highly doubt anyone will ever notice them on me.

My haematoma is draining itself thankfully and Dr Levick doesn't seem concerned about this as he says a small amount of blood and swelling can look far worse than it is. I'm quite bruised (currently yellow highlighter colour!) but I'm not bothered about that. I've been taking Arnica and am still on a litre of pineapple juice a day but will stop with that today as I fear severe weight gain otherwise!

It's tricky getting the tshirt I wear under my Compression vest on and a tad painful but certainly do-able. My chest feels tender and sensitive but again it's no probs so long as I am careful with my movements. So far nothing post op makes me wish I hadn't had surgery. On the contrary, I'm soooo glad I've had it done.

I'm back to work on Monday. Since getting home I've spent the days on the sofa reading, listening to music, watching dvds and stuff like that. It's been fine and pretty relaxing tbh! I went for an hours walk yesterday and had to go slower than usual as otherwise the movement made my chest ache a bit. It was good to be out! One thing I would point out is that Dr Levick advised moving around and not spending days on end in bed doing nothing. I've followed this advice and have been walking round the house and garden a fair bit so I am maintaining movement.

Also, now the binder garment is off I am sleeping much better and even managed a bit on my right side last night. The left is more painful for some reason so I'm avoiding lying on this side for now.

Will post more pics later.

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
Yes mate, can see the photos no problem - looking good.

Really glad to hear your recovery is going well.

Offline Gammy

• Bronze Member
Ah, the eurphoria of the first few weeks! Enjoy it mate. Just be prepared for the roller coaster! Remember, things get worse (sometimes a lot) before they get better again. Levick is an absolute legend though, you're in good hands.

Offline Vesuvius

• Posting Member
Thanks Gammy. I heard from Dr Levick today and he suggested that my vest needs to be tighter as I have quite a bit of swelling. I'm going to have to go for a small it seems. Much as I don't want to I think I will have to put the binder back on until my new vest arrives on Friday. Rubbish :( And yes, I expect the next few months to be very up and down. The support from guys on here seems to be fantastic. In return I'm more than happy to answer anyone's questions - please just ask!!

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
Gammy - what is there to look out for about getting worse?

I only ask as I'm having surgery next Thursday, and would just like to be prepared and realistic about the recovery.

Is it just the frustration/pain of making the recovery, or something else?

Thanks.

Offline Gammy

• Bronze Member
Nothing to worry about my friend.
What I meant is, the feeling immediately after surgery is amazing! Flat chest, relief it's all over and you can move on. But the next few months really can be an emotional roller coaster. Patches of swelling will come and go for the few months. Then the scar tissue will set in, and can make things look like they did pre-op. It's frustrating more than anything. I'm 13 months post op, and still have a small amount of scar tissue that bothers me. And that's after 2 lots of steroid injections to help break up the scar.. Some people are lucky, seem to have few problems, others have a bit of a rough ride! I knew all along that Mr Levick would eventually sort it all out, I just got tired of waiting a whole year, and it can be worrying. You'll be fine mate, patience is key.
Best of luck to you - although you won't need it

Offline timmyt

• Posting Member
Hi I had my surgery done by Levick on the 31st October, feeling pretty sore at present around the armpits. Just wandered how long I am meant to keep the compression bandage on, have bought the vest recommended but to scared to take there pressure bandage of yet have been washing around it.  Any advice would be great. 

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
Thanks Gammy.

Bit worrying to hear swelling/scar tissue can make it look as bad as before? I was hoping after Thursday my days of worrying what I looked like in t-shirts were over for good..

Offline Gammy

• Bronze Member
Simba,
You may be fine! Plain sailing all the way. This is what I mean though, be prepared and patient. You'll only be setting yourself up to be disappointed if you think it'll all be over in a couple weeks. Just relax and remember it really can take a year to get to where you want. In the end it'll all be worth it!

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member

Offline Vesuvius

• Posting Member
Hey guys, I'm 2 weeks and a few days post op now so thought I'd post an update.

Cuts have almost healed and I don't think they will scar. If so, the scar will be absolutely tiny and no one will ever notice. I still have to be careful with stretching, however, as it can be a bit painful towards the top of my chest. No real issue though!

Bruising has nearly disappeared as the photos show.

Pain wise, the top of my chest is a bit sensitive and I have to be careful in a the shower but again, nothing major and nothing for anyone considering surgery to be worried about!

The main issue I have at the moment is swelling on the right side. As the picture shows, you can see that the right side is more swollen than the left and that the nipple looks a bit puffy as it did pre op. I've emailed Dr Levick several times and he assures he that everything is normal and that the swelling will eventually  subside. However, this is worrying me as I really really really never want another puffy nipple problem. Dr Levick told me to make sure I keep the pressure on and the swelling will go.

I am wearing the Compression garment all the time other than in the shower and also wrap bandages around my chest, which I also wear all the time. The bandages provide a lot more Compression that the vest and are surprisingly comfy. Far better than the binder garment, which I stopped wearing in bed on Tuesday night.

I can finally sleep on my right side but still not the left. I guess I need another few days until to heal on my left side.

In terms of daily activities I walk to work which takes twenty minutes and then, unfortunately, sit at a desk all day. Other than walking I am not exercising and won't do for a while. I'm going skiing at Christmas though, so hopefully I will be ok by then...

Hope everyone else who has had surgery is recovering well :)

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
I know it's hard mate but I'm sure Mr Levick is right, and to give it some time to settle down. You have had pretty major surgery. Just remember why you went with Mr Levick to start with, because he's consistently excellent, and trust he's telling you the right things. I know that can be easier said than done when it's your own body though!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024