Author Topic: Is gyno hereditary  (Read 2631 times)

Offline dresta

• Posting Member
I have had this condition fro 13 I am now 35 and have a 5 year old son.  Am thinking what will happen to him when he gets 13.  I never met my dad so dont know if he had it.  The good thing is I had talk to my son about it if there are any signs.   

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, I have observed a strong hereditary component to gyne.  But there are so many variables that it is impossible to predict in any one individual or family.

You are wise to be watching out for your son, especially when he enters puberty.  Kids get very moody and reclusive at that age and he may not openly share any problems with his body.  It will be up to you to bring it out if you see any signs that your son is developing breasts.

I wish more parents had your attitude -- many teens would be spared years of torment.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The condition does not merely run in my family, It Gallops.

The Doctor is totally correct!  I grew up in a family where we were very modest and I do not think I ever saw my dad without a shirt on. I grew up thinking that I was the only person who had this. and up to a point, I was very self conscious. Back in those days we had PE every day starting in 7th grade and continuing until Graduation from High School. Every day a strip down and a shower. I learned quickly that my condition was actually very common.

I was very open with my sons about this and none has had a problem as a result.
Grandpa Dan

Offline post-op-success

• Posting Member
yes, I have it and my brother too, although his is minor compared to mine

Offline rhyno18

• Bronze Member
My dad had it pretty bad.  But it didn't seem to bother him as much.  He went shirtless all the time.  I don't remember going shirtless after getting caught up in an unexpected shirts-skins game in the college rec center 20 years ago. 

I just had surgery earlier this year.  Already socking money away in case my middle school son will need the surgery.  He hasn't shown any signs yet.  But if it comes I'll talk to him early and let him know we will get it taken care of as soon as he's old enough.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024