Author Topic: Doc says its not gyno, its just fat nipples?  (Read 2900 times)

Offline craftspace234

• Posting Member
k well I have fat nipples. Seems like gyno to me. However I went to my doc about and he says "No its not gyno, its just fat. It will go away over time"

I have also heard from people that if you squeeze your nipples and you dont feel a lump, its not gyno. Like if your fingers can squeeze the nipple until the fingers end up touching each other, its not gyno.

So idk what to think. My nipples are fat and I am pretty sure its gyno. However, other sources tell me no and that its just "fat".

I have some pics. Please take a look at them. Im thinking about surgery.

Thanks for any responses.

Offline ms123

• Posting Member
Looks like gyne to me. You don't necessarily have to feel anything in particular.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
That was your family Doctor talking, Right?

Most general practice Physicians are not the best people to consult with regarding Gynecomastia.

As the term is most commonly used these days, Gynecomastia is any surplus of tissue in the breasts of a male.  It makes no difference if the tissue is fat, Gland or simply skin. Any surplus. 

In the past, it was common to categorize the condition as being true or pseudo depending upon the presence of glandular tissue versus the presence of fatty tissue. This turns into a fools errand since the ultimate finding is that there is a mound of fat with glandular tissue threaded through it. At what point does it become true? 10% or some other amount?  This is compounded by the simple fact that you do not know the ratio of one to the other until the surgical procedure is done. Physical exam, even by a professional, can be misleading. The treatment, surgery, is the same as far as the patient is concerned either way.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Brisboy

• Posting Member
I think a lot of people here have had the same experience as you. General practitioners seem to be really unwilling to help people with gynecomastia and usually just dismiss it as "fat" or "just teenage stuff" which is really frustrating.

I'd suggest going straight to a plastic surgeon, preferable one with a good record for gyne surgery. When I finally get the money for my surgery I'm going to just go to my GP for a referral so I can claim some deductions on the cost.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Sorry, but your "doc" doesn't know what he is talking about.

There is no innate fat tissue directly under the areola -- it is breast tissue my friend.  And one cannot tell whether it is breast or fat just by feeling it -- another myth.

From your photos, you have gyno -- and if you want it gone, you need a surgeon --- period.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline craftspace234

• Posting Member
I think a lot of people here have had the same experience as you. General practitioners seem to be really unwilling to help people with gynecomastia and usually just dismiss it as "fat" or "just teenage stuff" which is really frustrating.

I'd suggest going straight to a plastic surgeon, preferable one with a good record for gyne surgery. When I finally get the money for my surgery I'm going to just go to my GP for a referral so I can claim some deductions on the cost.

Ok thanks for the reply!

Can you really get some deductions on the surgery just by going to your general practitioner and getting a referral?

That was your family Doctor talking, Right?

Most general practice Physicians are not the best people to consult with regarding Gynecomastia.

As the term is most commonly used these days, Gynecomastia is any surplus of tissue in the breasts of a male.  It makes no difference if the tissue is fat, Gland or simply skin. Any surplus. 

In the past, it was common to categorize the condition as being true or pseudo depending upon the presence of glandular tissue versus the presence of fatty tissue. This turns into a fools errand since the ultimate finding is that there is a mound of fat with glandular tissue threaded through it. At what point does it become true? 10% or some other amount?  This is compounded by the simple fact that you do not know the ratio of one to the other until the surgical procedure is done. Physical exam, even by a professional, can be misleading. The treatment, surgery, is the same as far as the patient is concerned either way.

Hmm interesting. Yeah it was my family doctor. I felt like he really did not seem to even care that much or know much about it. He started feeling my nipple (I guess to see if there is a lump), and claimed it was just fat and would go away. He did not seem to take it that seriously.

Thanks for the reply

Sorry, but your "doc" doesn't know what he is talking about.

There is no innate fat tissue directly under the areola -- it is breast tissue my friend.  And one cannot tell whether it is breast or fat just by feeling it -- another myth.

From your photos, you have gyno -- and if you want it gone, you need a surgeon --- period.

Dr Jacobs

Thank you Dr. Jacobs. Appreciate the response.

Is it possible that losing weight would make it disappear?

I mean, I'm not fat. I'm 6'1 190 pounds.

But I heard losing weight could make it go away. If its breast gland tissue, maybe not. I'm not sure

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Virtually all gyne has components of fat and breast tissue.  With weight loss, the fat component will diminish somewhat but the breast tissue will remain.  Frequently, the wt loss results in accentuating the remaining breast tissue, since the surrounding body areas have become thinner.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Brisboy

• Posting Member

Ok thanks for the reply!

Can you really get some deductions on the surgery just by going to your general practitioner and getting a referral?

I believe that's how it works where I live (Australia). That said I'm pretty sure you're supposed to have a referral to even visit a plastic surgeon here technically. Check out how it works where you live. If you're required to visit a GP first just go in and tell them straight up front you want a referral and you're not interested in their opinion.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024