Author Topic: Surgery Booked With Dr Levick  (Read 16009 times)

Offline maurice212303

• Bronze Member
Hey Guys

I am adding my 4 week pre-op photos

starting to feel like the countdown has begun - 15 years of feeling self conscious hopefully going for good!!!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:38:54 AM by maurice212303 »

Offline maurice212303

• Bronze Member
So here are the pics - Looking forward to hopefully seeing the difference that all of you guys have had!!!!

Offline Zenxer

• Bronze Member
  • Mm.. Donuts
I wish you luck on your surgery.
My surgery was done on Oct 20th, 2014 by Dr. J. Craig Fielding in Toronto, Ontario.

Offline bob1234

• Posting Member
Yep, good luck. You are in good hands at the priory with Levick, the worst part is definitely the waiting!

Offline ken979

• Posting Member
Hi

Yeah this is what he told me to do - no tomatoes, garlic or olive oil before hand - I also quit drinking as of the weekend and intend to be booze free until well after the surgery to try and get the best results I possibly can!!

I just had surgery with MR Levick 4 days ago. When can I start eating these again or should I wait???

@Maurice,

Well done. Levick is great!!!

I have had surgery with Mr Levick at 19/11/2014

Offline bob1234

• Posting Member
I just had surgery with MR Levick 4 days ago. When can I start eating these again or should I wait???

I stopped eating them for a couple of weeks after, but I think it was overkill to be honest. Unless you plan on shovelling down whole cloves of garlic each day, it's hardly going to cause your blood to thin to the point where it causes haematoma. Every little helps was my philosophy, and since I didn't miss them too much, I thought why not just avoid them for a little bit...

I even saw a pic on the Polish forum of people being served butties with tonnes of tomatoes on top immediately post-op, so it can't do that much harm.

I think avoiding alcohol, aspirin for a while is the most important though.

Offline maurice212303

• Bronze Member
So my compression garment arrived this morning and I have to say it is very very small - I know it's supposed to be tight but it doesn;t even go around my back!!!! So return it I will! :)

Offline FlatAsAPancake

• Bronze Member
You can eat normally straight away. It is only when you've been cut up that'll it cause an issue.

Offline bob1234

• Posting Member
You can eat normally straight away. It is only when you've been cut up that'll it cause an issue.

You're probably right, but garlic (+tomatoes etc.) does thin the blood, so just like how if you started drinking post-op or taking aspirin, you'd be increasing your chances of haematoma, garlic ( in sufficient quantities) could also elevate your risk (at least a *tiny* bit).

What "sufficient quantities" means with garlic in a post-operative scenario is the tricky unknown. I'd guess that probably having a garlic or tomato based sauce in a meal or two is going to do nothing, but going heavy on garlic/olive oil/tomato based foods every meal, every day post-op is probably not the smartest idea.

We are doing everything we can post-op to get the best results, from Arnica to pineapple. Yet if you research into Arnica/bromelein you'll find the efficacy of these things is far from certain (Arnica is a homeopathic dilution!), yet we still use them since "it can't hurt", so for me if garlic thins the blood, and I don't know how much garlic is the "safe amount", "it can't hurt" to also avoid it for a while.

Just my 2c anyway, but I probably worry too much, I'm sure you'll be fine unless you're a vampire.

Offline maurice212303

• Bronze Member
Hi Everyone

I am currently 2 weeks pre-op and I think I am beginning to cack my pants!!!!

Also I wonder if you could tell me when to start taking arnica and how often I should take it!!

Thanks

Offline freedom1987

• Bronze Member
Think i started a couple of weeks before hand, might aswell start building up a supply within your system :)

Remember take tshirt pre-op photo aswell, always a great comparison picture.

Offline maurice212303

• Bronze Member
Thanks Freedom!!

Well it's 7 days before my surgery and I thought I would do what you said and upload some t shirt pics - Lets hope the difference will be significant in 1 week and 2 hours!!! ;D

Offline maurice212303

• Bronze Member
Hello Everyone

So tomorrow I am going to Birmingham for my op on wednesday  morning - I CANT BELIEVE THAT IT HAS COME SO QUICKLY.

I am beginning to feel nervous and have go a lot of support from my friends and family who are all behind me!

this tim in 48 hours I will have a flat chest - It is so strange to type that.

anyway....last minute advice would be greatly appriciated!!

Thanks

Offline bob1234

• Posting Member
Can't believe it's almost 6 weeks ago that I was nervously awaiting my op like you. I don't think I have any advice you haven't already heard, just relax --- the hardest part is getting to the hospital. Wear a loose fitting shirt (button up at the front is ideal), maybe some shoes without laces if you have any to avoid needing to bend over to tie them. Make sure you have a rolling suitcase not rucksack type bag too. You'll have TV (and prob slow wifi too), but also load up your laptop/ipad with some films...this will give you some entertainment when the GA wears off but you're stuck in the bed. If you've not done so already, shaving/removing hair from armpits helps alot (stops hairs getting caught in incisions and also makes the incisions easier to clean for the time period when you can't shower --- wish I had done this more thoroughly!)...you could shave chest too, but I probably wouldn't as the benefits may be outweighed by getting a stubble rash with the binder/vest.

Other than that just make sure you take it super easy for the week afterwards and keep that binder on as tight as you can for as long as you can...

Good luck! and looking forward to hearing about how you get on....

Offline maurice212303

• Bronze Member
Hello everyone

I made it, I woke up, I'm alive and what looks like to be a completely flat chest!
I have no idea what I was worried about - I don't want to speak too soon or get my hopes up but - seriously I haven't looked at my chest yet
but I already feel like I have made the best decision of my life, Dr Levick, said "wait until you see
your burger shots". He also said "santa has come early"
He really is a lovely man and the staff at the hospital are beyond helpful, anyone at all
wanting to do this will not regret it!

I will upload them tomorrow and then the rest on Christmas Eve after a shower, before I don
the compression garment for the next 6 weeks I think!?

:-)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024