Author Topic: Going for 2nd revision (pics and a video)  (Read 1343 times)

Offline frodo

• Bronze Member
  • There, and back again.
I've had two surgeries, and although my chest looks dramatically different, it's still noticeable on my left side when I take off my shirt.

I've had gynecomastia since I was 13 or 14, and decided to finally go in for surgery in 2007, when I was 27 or so. The surgeon removed all of the gland, but there's still a bit of fat on the left side. I went in for a revision the next year, but the fat still remained (although it's a lot less now, there's still a defined breast shape that is immediately noticeable). This may be due to the fact that both times, the doctor neglected to draw out any measurements or markings on my skin, despite my insistence. I've attached pics to give you some idea what it looks like now (these were taken in a mirror and so are reversed). I've also uploaded a short 20-second video clip that shows it from all angles, showing the gyne much better than in a flat picture. Please do check it out: tinyurl DOT com/frodogyne (hosted on mega dot co dot nz)

I've decided to go in for surgery again to fix this once and for all, and have spoken to three doctors who all gave me different reports:

Doctor 1: wants to operate on both sides, flattening the left breast while removing a little fat from the right side as well. He also recommends putting some fat IN, on the right side, to fix what the prevous doctor did when he removed too much (there's a small depression under my nipple but only visible when i stretch my hand high up. However, he wants to make insicions that will not be around the nipple, but rather on the side of the breast, because, in his words, "you have to cut where the fat is". This will leave visible scars. I'm disinclined to this view; I think the left side is as good as can be expected.

Doctor 2: recommends only bringing down the fat on the left side to match up with the right. He says it will be at the most 50 cc of fat that he takes out. He wants to use syringe liposuction only, and the scar will not be visible as it will be around the nipple area. So far, I like this suggestion the best. However, he says the left side only looks odd because it doesn't match up to the right side, but is not noticeably gyne in itself (I disagree -- opinions?)  He also says it is a delicate procedure and "cannot guarantee" that it will fix the problem. This worries me, since I have been through this twice already. Also, he says I will need to wear a compression garment for 6 months to a year, which surprised me based on what I read in posts here.

Doctor 3: says the bulge on the left side is only "loose skin" and suggests I do nothing and just live with it.

I'm currently inclined towards the procedure suggested by doctor #2, but I thought I would post on this forum to see if that's a good choice. I can also post pictures of myself from before the first surgery if that helps.

Thanks for reading this far. I have been a member of this community since 2007 at least, and really value its support and help. This has been on my mind for some time, and would really like to finally do it.

PS: please do see the video clip, I'd really appreciate it :) [tinyurl DOT com/frodogyne]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 04:37:04 PM by frodo »

Offline Fat-Elvis

• Bronze Member
I think I have the exact same issue, on my left side too, although not as bad.  It's not really noticeable at all when I'm standing normally but if I position my arm/chest in a certain way or flex my chest muscles there's a pocket of fat (right where you highlighted yours with the triangle) that becomes noticeable and the area takes on a really strange shape.  I'm guessing just not enough fat was lipo'd out there.  Did your doctor #2 say anything more about syringe lipo?  I've never heard of that before.  It sounds interesting and like it wouldn't be nearly as invasive, but did he say why you'd have to wear a vest again for SIX months?  That sounds crazy.  If there's one thing that sucked about this whole ordeal it was that goddamn vest.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
From your photos, I would agree that your right side could use a bit more liposuction to create more definition of the lateral border of your pec muscle.  Your left side looks good with your hand down by your side.  If there is a small crater anywhere near the nipple, then a fat flap procedure -- performed through a peri-areolar incision -- would be a good choice.  I don't believe in putting scars on the chest skin -- they are permanent.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024