Author Topic: How Effective is Tamoxifen?  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Gyne-Sucks

• Bronze Member
i am 19 years old, had gyno for roughly 4 years, my gynecomastia occurred during puberty.

Will Tamoxifen work for me?

obviously i wouldn't take it unless i my GP recommended it, so what is the likelihood that my GP will recommend it?

Note: my gyno seems to have settled and doesn't seem active, seems to have been the same size for years. i would just like to add; i am not over weight.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If your gyno has been present and stable for four years, then taking Tamox is a waste of time (and money).  At Best, Tamox would work if you were just at the beginning of gyne development -- but most guys aren't aware of it until it becomes more pronounced -- and then it is usually too late.

Some body builders who take anabolic steroids have their own regimens to take Tamox or similar drugs during a cycle to try to prevent the development of gyne.  More often than not, this self treatment backfires on them.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Sven

• Posting Member
I agree with Doctor Jacobs, save yourself the disappointment and put your money toward surgery if you intend to treat your gynecomastia.

I tried Raloxifene (similar to Tamoxifen, but less toxic) and had little to no results after several months.  The drugs were not cheap either, so it ended up being a significant waste of money.  Ultimately I opted for surgery, which resolved the problem once and for all.  I kept a thorough record of my experience with pictures on my google drive if you would like to take a look:

[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OliJfhi22E61uVwXsWqPjMQxAi2qV8ECPDVKwuQzNNQ/edit?usp=sharing/]

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
There is no clear evidence that Tamoxifen will have any significant effect on Gynecomastia.

As the Doctor said, it is sometimes used by body builders in the hope of preventing gynecomastia due to steroid use.  Its effectiveness even there is questionable.

Adjusting the reproductive hormones is not a good do-it-yourself project.
Grandpa Dan

Offline MammaryMan

• Bronze Member
Would tamoxifen (or possibly better, arimidex) be useful in preventing the growth of any tissue that remained AFTER gynecomastia surgery - especially if the patient was on Casodex and Avodart? I'm assuming that estradiol is the culprit in male breast enlargement and if arimidex lowers the estradiol significantly, the breast will not grow. Is this a valid assumption?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
This question falls into the realm of an endocrinologist -- you should direct your question to an expert.

Dr Jacobs

Offline jason_w

• Bronze Member
youtube.com/watch?v=sMrfQXIcR8c

this guy talks about it, its worked for my friend, but nolva is an estrogen BLOCKER, not destroyer (like he words)

it will shrink the gyno you already have, if it hasn't been around for years, it will not get rid of it fully though

my friend used letrozole and it killed the gyno completely (but he caught it within the first few months)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024