Author Topic: Areola reduction experiences?  (Read 2405 times)

Offline oZ49

Hey guys,

I had a gynecomastia surgery about 3 years ago. The results were great and I'm very thankful for my much flatter chest. However, although my chest is much flatter, my areola are still pretty big. This looks pretty awkward on a flat chest, because it makes the areola appear much larger on a relatively smaller chest.

Has anyone had any experiences with an areola reduction. From what I understand, this involves cutting around the areola, which would give me a scar all around my nipple. I've been trying to find pictures of how scars end up after these procedures, because i figured I could just get some light tattooing done on the scars if size warrants. However, I wanna be careful because i don't want to compromise the integrity of my gyne surgery.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I understand your dilemma. This is a difficult problem to deal with. The problem with areolar reduction is several-fold. First, it may interfere with the blood supply to the areola.  It all depends on what type of incision was made at the time of your original surgery.  Second, it would undoubtedly result in a scar which is totally circumferential around the edge of the areola.  Third, it might temporarily result in a smaller diameter nipple but ultimately there tends to be widening of the scar as the natural skin tension works and pulls on the scar.  I have oftentimes seen the areola stretch out again to the original size )or even larger) plus you would now have a widened scar completely around the edge of the areola. Decidedly worse than the original situation.  

INMO, you may be better off staying with what you have.

If you do decide to pursue an areolar diameter reduction, please be sure to seek the advice of a gyne expert.  You may require a permanent suture just under the skin, which would prevent some of the post op spreading but which would be feel-able for the foreseeable future.

Good luck.

Dr Jacobs
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 08:32:33 PM by Dr. Elliot Jacobs »
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I am not a Doctor, and I have not had surgery myself. Perhaps on that basis I should not even be speaking on this subject.  Even so, My feeling is that when a doctor who makes good money doing surgery tells you the wise thing would be to do nothing.  He is telling the truth. 

I have been watching The comments of this Doctor for a good while and His word is absolutely golden.  You will never have to regret taking his advice.
Grandpa Dan

Offline nasa3

• Silver Member
  • kill this thing and skip rope with its intestines
What is your general location... See my post in your story I have a great ps in the chicago area that undoubtedly can help you
Bilateral liposuction 5/20/02 FINAL SURGERY 1-13-15 DR NEIL FINE CHICAGO NORTHWESTERN MEMORIAL

Offline nasa3

• Silver Member
  • kill this thing and skip rope with its intestines
What is your general location... See my post in your story I have a great ps in the chicago area that undoubtedly can help you

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024