Author Topic: suggestions from surgeons  (Read 1360 times)

Offline seb01

• Posting Member
Hi to all,

This is my first post. Am finding the info here truly invaluable. Really great forum, so glad I found it. I'm normally the sort of person that stumbles upon such things when it's too late! Glad I didn't this time!

I was hoping the surgeons on this board maybe able to suggest some surgeons in the uk or europe. It is so difficult when you don't know where to go for an unbiased bit also informed suggestion. How can I find the best man for the job??

I live in Birmingham, England... so by location Mr Levick would be perfect, but from looking at his work and having consulted with him, I worry about him making the chedt too flat (without natural contour). He also appears to be of the opinion that the whole gland should be removed, at least that's what I readfrom posters on here... most surgeons seem to disagree.

I guess if you have a really bad case of gyno, you may not care if the chest is very flat and might be happy with Levick... I used to love my chest until about 2 years ago (am 30yo) when I developed puffy nipples, so I wouldn't really want much changed. Just want the puffiness gone.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ha032742

It's natural after surgery for the chest to appear overly flat initially due to the technique of liposuction and the compression post-up, however, it gradually fills out over the next few months. The UK board on here has plenty of examples of patients who had surgery with Mr Levick and have a natural looking masculine chest 6 months down the line. I underwent surgery with Dr. Karidis last year, who is based in London and the post-op instructions specifically mention that the chest will appear overly flat initially and not to worry as this will improve with time.

Variation in technique between surgeons is common due to their training and clinical experience. For example, Dr. Karidis removes approximately 95-98% of the gland, leaving a small disc under the nipple, whereas as number of surgeons like Mr Levick prefer to excise it completely as the risk of a crater deformity is still extremely low and they feel it gives a better end result (plus no chance of recurrence in future).

I would recommend seeing a few different surgeons and then picking the one who answered questions to your satisfication/gave you most confidence.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 02:24:14 PM by ha032742 »

Offline seb01

• Posting Member
Thnx for such a prompt reply. I noticed a number of typos in my post... am typing from my phone... hope it's readable!

What u mentioned about the flattening of the chest makes a lot of sense. Strange that karidis didn't explain that when I raised that concern. I do like that he leaves a bit of gland though, and the crater thing is one of the things I'm really anxious about. Really don't want that happening!

ha032742

So you've had a consultation with Dr. Karidis too or did you mean that you raised the concern with Mr Levick? ???

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Two things to be aware of.  First, no surgeon can remove all the gland tissue -- gland is concentrated under the areolas but extends in all directions across the chest.  To attempt to remove "all breast tissue" would undoubtedly mutilate the patient.  Instead, I am sure Mr Levick, as I do, is aggressive in removing as much as possible without producing deformities.

Second, assuming lipo and gland removal has been successful, the natural result should be a thin but uniform pinch of skin, fat (and yes some breast tissue) across the entire chest.  Net effect is that the excess overlying tissues that camouflaged your chest muscle have been removed and now the natural contours of your chest muscle are revealed.  Virtually all chest muscle has a slight curvature to it -- more curvature if the muscle is very well developed.

Net effect is that very few patients are actually flat -- but if so, you are now free to build up those pecs with lots of chest exercise.  And with only a thin layer of tissue above the muscle, its contours will now show.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024