Author Topic: surgery through armpit vs. below nipple  (Read 2854 times)

Offline rick007

Can anyone give me an idea as to which type of surgery I should opt for? I'm pretty sure I just have glandular gynecomastia, as I'm pretty fit. I'd be worried about scars right on the nipple area, but wouldn't care so much if they were under my arms or off to the side, which is why I think I'd prefer under the armpit. It seems like most surgeons opt for cutting right under the nipple however. Thanks a lot.

-Rick

Offline oleoze

• Posting Member
I think a cut right under nipple is the only way to get out the hard tissues, correct me if im wrong. Anyway, I did a cut under the nipple and my scars arent visible, i dont even think i can call it scars :). The only thing I didnt count on was that the nipple dont look 100% round after surgery but nipples never look 100% round anyway.  

DrBermant

Can anyone give me an idea as to which type of surgery I should opt for? I'm pretty sure I just have glandular gynecomastia, as I'm pretty fit. I'd be worried about scars right on the nipple area, but wouldn't care so much if they were under my arms or off to the side, which is why I think I'd prefer under the armpit. It seems like most surgeons opt for cutting right under the nipple however. Thanks a lot.

-Rick

Each surgeon used the tools and techniques he / she prefers.

The problem is that gynecomastia comes in so many different forms.  I prefer to let what I find during surgery help guide what needs to be done.  An incision at the edge of the areola opens up for me an artist's palette of tools not available when using the armpit approach.  That is why I prefer my Dynamic Technique.

I have also seen patients from other doctors with channel problems between remote access sites and the areola / nipple.  Scars, adhesions, and depressions can look terrible.  Check out the lateral (side views) and posterior oblique (side from the back views with and without muscle flexion here to see what I mean.  

This approach permits me to maximize the removal of the firm gland and sculpt the remaining fat.  

The areola chest skin interface is a great place to hide a scar.  Check out the many before after pictures of this Areola / Nipple Gallery here, here, and here.  These results are typical for my sculpture of my patients.

How tissues move is important.  The human body is beautiful in animation.  That is why I show pictures of the chest with arms up, down, and with muscles tight / relaxed in addition to the results from multiple views.  Limited view demonstrations can pick the best angle to hide deformities and problems.  Such analysis of the results as well as how tissues evolve, the possible need for drains, comfort level after surgery, are important factors in picking your doctor.  It is like an artist selecting a paint brush.  The results are what matters, not with what tool they sculpt.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I'd be worried about scars right on the nipple area, but wouldn't care so much if they were under my arms or off to the side, which is why I think I'd prefer under the armpit.

Dude.....

Peri-areola scaring is almost undetecable once healed. Don't be worried about people being able to notice that you have had an operation. Cuz they won't be able to....   ;)

John.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 01:16:08 PM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024