Author Topic: Will my gyaecomastia go away naturally?  (Read 1941 times)

Offline J88

• Posting Member
Hello,

So I'm 18 years old and have had this sore, hard lump behind one nipple for about 8 months or there abouts. It makes one nipple look a lot larger than the other and protrudes out of t shirts and shirts.  I've not been to the doctors or anything about it but I'm pretty sure it is gynaecomastia

Also I do a lot of exercise so I do have quite a low body fat percentage so this emphasises it greatly.

It has been slowly getting worse the past few weeks.

So I was wondering, can it still go away naturally even at 18? If so how long would it take?

Many thanks

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
For many generations, Family Doctors have told boys that it would go away in a couple of years.    Well, that did not work for me and it did not work for a lot of other people either.   Sometimes it does so the family Doctor keeps telling people that it will.
I am not a family Doctor, In fact I am not a Doctor at all so I can tell you the real story.   Sometimes it does go away.  But not always.  If it is painful, then you should see a doctor about it.   But not just any Doctor, an Endocrinologist would be best but a good Pediatrician might be OK too.  You want someone that has a special interest in hormones and growth.   If the condition has been unchanged for a couple of years, it is not going to change. In that case, the only way to get rid of it would be surgery.    
You indicated that it might be showing through your clothes.  There are things you can do about the way you dress that make it less obvious.   Any questions along those lines will get a thoughtful answer here.  We are all here for the same reason. 
Grandpa Dan

Offline J88

• Posting Member
For many generations, Family Doctors have told boys that it would go away in a couple of years.    Well, that did not work for me and it did not work for a lot of other people either.   Sometimes it does so the family Doctor keeps telling people that it will.
I am not a family Doctor, In fact I am not a Doctor at all so I can tell you the real story.   Sometimes it does go away.  But not always.  If it is painful, then you should see a doctor about it.   But not just any Doctor, an Endocrinologist would be best but a good Pediatrician might be OK too.  You want someone that has a special interest in hormones and growth.   If the condition has been unchanged for a couple of years, it is not going to change. In that case, the only way to get rid of it would be surgery.     
You indicated that it might be showing through your clothes.  There are things you can do about the way you dress that make it less obvious.   Any questions along those lines will get a thoughtful answer here.  We are all here for the same reason.

Hi there

Thanks for your reply!

I'll take your advice on board about seeing an endocrinologist then. I feel like it still may be pubertal as it has only been a few months like I said but I can't be sure

Thanks again

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Will it disappear naturally?  There is no way to know or predict.  Certainly, if this is a recent development, it would behoove you to be patient and wait. The general rule of thumb is that if it hasn't disappeared on its own within 2-3 years, then it is probably permanent.  At that time, if it is still bothersome to you, you may seek an opinion of a plastic surgeon, preferably one who has demonstrated significant interest and expertise in treating gynecomastia.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024