Author Topic: Who pays for botched job?  (Read 1537 times)

Offline RoundRobin

• Posting Member
One year post operation, and with one nipple that has been pointing awkwardly since the bandages were removed.
The doctor that did the original procedure tells me that I need to pay him for him to correct this.
Is this normal business practices??

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I recently took my car in for a tune up.  The tune up was done, but it turned out that the real problem was that I needed a new fuel pressure regulator.  Obviously that is a problem that I needed to pay for in addition to the tune up.  I see your situation as being very similar in some ways.  I suspect that it is reasonable to pay again to correct that problem unless there ws some sort of guarantee of the result which is highly unlikely. 
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
This is a touchy subject and there are no right or wrong answers.  Some surgeons will charge for revisions -- others not at all -- or something in-between. Obviously, every surgeon starts an operation with the best of intentions.  Sometimes, it may not turn out exactly right. This may be due to the surgeon, or to the patient not following the doctors post op recommendations, or, most often, to the capricious healing that Mother Nature provides to us, which is controlled neither by the surgeon nor the patient.  What to do if things don't turn out right or acceptable?

Fortunately, in plastic surgery, a revision procedure is an option,  Think of it as a second chance to improve the results.  

Most gynecomastia operations are healed and the final results appreciated by 9-12 months. In my practice, I provide a written revision policy to my patients when they sign for surgery.  In it, I agree to provide free surgical services for revision within the first year IF both the patient and I agree.  (There are some charges for anesthesia and operating room fees, however).  The caveat is that both of us must agree about revision. Sometimes, revision is not appropriate, or, the patient may be pursuing absolute perfection and any further revision surgery could just as easily make things worse rather than better.  That is when my experience as a surgeon should prevail.  And sometimes only a cortisone injection is needed rather than revision surgery.

Food for thought.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024