Author Topic: Bra purchasing experiences at various stores  (Read 5372 times)

Offline SideSet

One of my SAs at Soma just called saying she hoped to see me during their Semiannual Panty Sale. I assured her I would be coming in soon.

Offline Athena12@

• Gold Member
  • If you gat um flunt um.
janinorth;  I agree with you about KOHL's, they are totally hands off.  I don't even think the have any SAs assigned to the lingerie section.  But that is the beauty of it.  AS ABWG (I believe)  that you can walk into the store grab a shopping bag and load it up with all the bras you want and take them to the changing room and have a ball.  And no one will care one hoot.
If you got them flaunt them.  We all wear bras so wear what you like and to hell with the rest.

aboywithgirls

That is the case.
All in all, I've had my BEST  bra shopping at Torrid. I think that they are Awesome. When you go there they are always welcoming. They work with you to get you not only the bra you want but also the bra you NEED!
I was fine with a regular t shirt bra that I purchased there (and was fitted for). They didn't have my size in a couple other bras that I was interested in. Without me even asking, they ordered those bras in my size and asked me to come in to try them to see if I liked them and if they even fit. They were perfect and I bought 2 of them and wore one home. 
My other bras that I have, don't get alot of use anymore since I discovered Torrid bras. 
If any are interested, you have to try the 360 Smooth T-shirt bra. The strap adjustments are in front and almost perfectly smooth in back. Whether you care about a visible bra line or not, this is as smooth as you can get in front and back in a regular underwire bra. 

Offline TheDane

• Posting Member
This is confidence inspiring to hear that Soma is well received.  I am considering making a fitting appointment.  I have a few too many under garments that don't fit very well. 

Offline Athena12@

• Gold Member
  • If you gat um flunt um.
Thedane by all means go for it!  Most stores like Soma are very nice to men and treat them like they would any woman.

Offline SideSet

TheDane,
Easiest if you call ahead.  Tell them, even though you are a man, you have breasts like a woman and need to wear a bra just like a woman does.  Tell them you would like them to give you a fitting, help you try on and buy some bras, and what time is best for them. 

Offline TheDane

• Posting Member
I called they said just come in, of course when I got there on the 4th of Jan they were busy, no matter just keep cool and be patient.
Much better experience with Soma than I got at Victoria secret.  Soma's fitter was way more knowledgeable she didn't try putting me in something that was too small or a push up. :-/

I've been wearing a 36C/D and the fitter put me in a 40B & 38C because 40B isn't common. The fit was much different and more positive. Full coverage and balconette styles as well as wireless. I suspect this is why the claim that many women are wearing the wrong size bra and the people who say it state it frequently.  I wouldn't want to take a guess at how many men are in that same boat. I cant believe the cup size differences between what I was wearing and what I've got now.

In case anyone is reading this and questioning whether there is a difference between box store and quality bras and whether you need to be fitted, just consider doing it because you will spend less in the long run in trying on and returning stuff. Quality matters if you want life and are seeking support and comfort invest in quality garments.

I stopped at Lane Bryant and found a sister size garment that I asked if I could try on, it wasn't a problem.  Torrid was packed with people.

Offline SideSet

Thank you for the report. It was good that you went into those stores. I’m not surprised you had a very good, and the best, experience at Soma.  Your bra size tells me you need to wear a bra 

Offline Johndoe1

In case anyone is reading this and questioning whether there is a difference between box store and quality bras and whether you need to be fitted, just consider doing it because you will spend less in the long run in trying on and returning stuff. Quality matters if you want life and are seeking support and comfort invest in quality garments.

I can't agree more. Do I want to pay $50-$100 for a single bra? No. But the comfort and fit difference along with the serviceable life span between a $20 bra and a $50 bra to me is worth the price difference. I can pay for a two $20 bras and they won't last as long as one $40 or $50 bra. To me that is wasting money. And there is a no question that going to a knowledgeable fitter is well worth the time. I looked around for a smaller local shop that would discreetly serve men. It took a little time but it was well worth it. My fitter knows me. She knows what styles I like, what works for me and I can get in and out without spending a lot of time trying bras that don't work for me. Before I went to my fitter, I really had no idea what size I was. I measured and got close, but then knowing what styles work was a whole 'nutter issue. While I found bras that "fit", the style was wrong and in the end, the comfort wasn't there and if it wasn't comfortable, then I didn't wear them and again, wasted money. The fitter could look at me and see what shape I  am and what would work and concentrated on those bras and not show me bras that would not work for my shape. And finding bras that work for my shape makes drawing unwanted attention much easier to avoid. That one thing made it worth going to her. Why buy something that doesn't work for me and isn't comfortable to wear? That is where the real peace of mind comes from.
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

hammer

The expensive bras also outlast the other bras as well, so unless you are changing in size they will last you for a long time compared to the, shall I say less expensive bras!

Offline TheDane

• Posting Member
I tried a balconette style in 38C, nope nope not for me. I like support, last thing I want is enhancement. Maybe I will try another brand later.

Onehanesplace has a solid collection of bras mostly playtex softcup in lots of sizes, Bali as well. I can't get along with softcups.

Underwire only unless it's a sports attire top I love Lululemon then those are squishing me down.

I picked up 2 Minimizer bras which are quite nice, wasn't sure if they would be all that.  If the picture shows up, this is a minimizer, yes it's squishing me a little bit, a little less projection is a good thing within reason anyway.

I would prefer lace edges on the top of the cups, so there isn't any lines thru my shirts, or a T-shirt style bra.  I wouldnt be afraid to try on lace trimmed articles if it doesnt irritate you while wearing it or if it serves a purpose like blending/hiding edges. Only mentioning this because not everyone can fork out the dough for vanishing back styles. Try wide straps they make a huge world of difference, no longer am I dying to get home to rip this off and put it away.

hammer

Offline Johndoe1

Nice looking bra TheDane. Looks comfortable and seems to fit you well. I have a couple of minimizer t-shirt bras. They do seem to take about an inch or so of projection down. In a polo shirt, that is a huge difference. I have found that the minimizers give me a more lifted, rounded shape while it spreads the tissue out more. At my size, more lifted and round is kinda like more drunk. Once you re drunk, your dunk!
Lace bras don't bother me. The most comfortable and coolest wearing bra I have is an all lace bra. In the summer months, lace has been the best material to keep boob sweat manageable and it is light weight and hides easily under clothes and provides some of the best support for mass. The most uncomfortable feeling to me is sweating in a molded cup bra. It is like wearing two bowls of water strapped tightly to your chest and the telltale sweat line under the boobs on tops. I will take breathable lace over that any day.
I too prefer underwire. The amount of support you get with underwire takes less bulk than a soft cup of the same support. Of course the only drawback is the underwire will definitely shape the tissue and depending on the style, it can get pretty shapely but that doesn't bother me either as long as the comfort is there.
I love a good balconette bra. I love the support it gives. But in return for that support it will stand the girls right up. I wear it with caution.

Jason13820

A lot of these stores mentioned aren't in my area, but there is a Lane Bryant/Cacique near me, and the staff there was very helpful and professional. Quality bras, too. I usually shop online but I've gone back to Lane Bryant several times.

Offline jan1north

• Posting Member
Another good experience at a local Soma (Dayton, OH area)... the manager greeted me, recognized from a previous visit several months ago (they probably don't get a lot of men seeking breast support).  Recent weight loss puts me at about a 40B.  I was treated with dignity, respect, and helped - and like another customer - I left with a well fitting and comfortable "vanishing back wireless" bra.

Contrast this with a recent experience at Von Mauer (Polaris/Columbus, OH) where I was well greeted by a young clerk who apologized for her inexperience in the department.  She listened to my story and sincerely tried to help, selecting a couple of possibilities.  She turned me over to the senior SA who fluttered about as if she was confused and didn't understand what a 40B bra was even though she was holding the selections!  She obviously never discussed the subject with a male customer, in spite of her obvious senior age.  Holding the selections, she then sent me to the men's department for help!?!#@!  Suffice it to say I just headed to the door. 

To date positive purchasing experiences and SA interaction (in no particular order):  Soma, Torrid, Lane Bryant, Dillards, Bra's Galore, Hanes Outlet
Neutral experiences (no SA involved):  Kohl's, Macy's
Negative experience:  Von Mauer

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024