Author Topic: Bra fitting - it's a matter of opinion  (Read 2231 times)

Offline AlfaQ

• Posting Member
I went shopping yesterday wearing my faithful Triumph Doreen Delicate bra (that's its full name) in size 34B and visited 3 bra shops. The results were interesting. One fitter thought the Doreen was too slack and fitted me to a 32C in another brand. Another stayed with a 34B and the final fitter thought the Doreen too tight and moved me to a 36B.  3 apparently trained fitters and 3 different opinions. However all were really helpful and accepting of me. The lesson is to try lots of bras styles in different sizes and eventually you will find what works for you. Here is a pic from yesterday. More about that later ...

Offline Johndoe1

That's why you try many different bras. No two are the same, even in the same brand. And having slightly different sizes is not unusual depending upon the style and type and usage. I have bras that are 42DD, 42DDD, 44DD depending on style and brand. My sports bras are usually one band size and one cup size larger than my everyday bras but are more secure and supportive. If am trying something new, it's not uncommon to try 10 or even 15 bras and settling on 2 or 3. That's why so many women hate bra shopping. It can be tedious just for a few bras or maybe none if the shop doesn't have your size. 
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Offline Justagirl💃

• When life gives you curves, Flaunt them! 🤗
That's why you try many different bras. No two are the same, even in the same brand. And having slightly different sizes is not unusual depending upon the style and type and usage. I have bras that are 42DD, 42DDD, 44DD depending on style and brand. My sports bras are usually one band size and one cup size larger than my everyday bras but are more secure and supportive. If am trying something new, it's not uncommon to try 10 or even 15 bras and settling on 2 or 3. That's why so many women hate bra shopping. It can be tedious just for a few bras or maybe none if the shop doesn't have your size.
Yes, I recently increased my standard bra size to a 46F in the Torrid push-up strapless. The bras fit snug, but perfect!
I then ordered 46F T-shirt bras from Torrid, and tried one on at the store before bringing them home. The T-shirt bras fit, but not snugly. Good enough to bring them home, but not the perfect fit I get out of the strapless. 

Birdie 💖
When life gives you curves,
flaunt them! 💃
💋Birdie💋

Offline AlfaQ

• Posting Member
Thanks Johndoe you are right in all that  you say.  It is still  concerning that 2 fitters can assess the same bra that you are wearing and one suggests a band size smaller and the other suggests a band bigger is required.  They both must have very different ideas of what is the correct band tension.

Offline Sophie

• Silver Member
As a woman, I can say that it's not uncommon for me to try 15-20 bras on when I'm getting fitted. I've been wearing a bra full time for 35 years now. Through education and experience, I know how my bras should fit. I also do the same thing as John. I down size my band size and sister size up in the cups for my sports bras. It hold the girls a bit more firm for running.

It's nice to have a reputable boutique that you can trust the fitters experience as well as the fact that they are listening to your needs and concerns. 

♥️Sophie♥️

Offline Johndoe1

It's nice to have a reputable boutique that you can trust the fitters experience as well as the fact that they are listening to your needs and concerns.

♥️Sophie♥️
That's why I looked hard for a small shop with trained fitters. They have come to know me and my needs and desires and I trust them. And they make sure my bosom looks as good and supported and contained as any other customer. And that's all I ask. 

Offline Busty

But what was consistent was that all three believed you belonged in a bra and tried to find bras that worked best for you.  And, in my view, that is the most important. 

Offline AlfaQ

• Posting Member
Wise words Busty, the fact that they all recognised the a bra would be beneficial for me is what really matters here.  Occasionally some Fitters have been  sceptical initially, but on closer inspection they have acknowledged that they are more substantial than they expected and understood why I wanted to wear a bra. 

Offline Gino

• Bronze Member
I don't know why fitters and some bra makers make this an elusive quest to get a well fitting bra. 

My measured band size is 36, the vast majority of maker's garment bands marked 36 will fit me perfectly on the rear hook closest to the end of the strap allowing for band stretch so I could use the last two hooks if needed. 

If I went by the online absurd add 4" to my band size method and ordered a 40 I'd slide out of it. 

Measuring my bust with an unlined well fitting unlined bra on or being naked and bending over I'm also exactly 4" over my band size and a known nearly "perfect" B cup. Some brands  have cups that are a tad smaller, some a tad larger but the vast number of brands fit with a B cup. 

The online cup size determining method using a difference of:

• 1 inch (2.5 cm) = A
  • 2 inches (5 cm) = B
  • 3 inches (7.5 cm) = C
  • 4 inches (10 cm) = D
This table would make me a "D" cup and I could fit BOTH of my boobs in a D cup,  I know this as my GF is a D and her bra and cups swim on me. 

So my advice is find a brand that fits and stick with it. 

A long while ago I was lucky to stumble into a thrift shop that had bins of sized bras from 32 through 40 and an employee saw me looking and sold me the whole bin of 36B's for not much more than the price of one quality bra and it happens that I discovered several brands marked 36B and every one fit me so I stick with those brands. 

I re-donated those which were too stretched, front hook, lined, padded or old and tattered and I can order my fave brands online with high confidence that they will fit. 

Offline taxmapper

The measurement gallery of absurdity is obvious to anyone who has tried to make sense of it. 

My band size is 43-1/2 (ergo 44) 

My bust is at 49 +/-.  That's a 5 inch difference also putting me squarely into the D cup range according to this nonsense. 

BUT, once everything is gathered up (including side boob) they fit nicely and comfortably into a B cup. 

IMO this is deliberate. 

Unlike the motorcycle industry making controls universal, the bra industry treats women with disdain.    

Offline AlfaQ

• Posting Member
The plus 4 rule dates back to the days before bras stretched and I  don't know why some still use it.  I have gradually migrated to tighter bands as I have got used to daily bra wear. Bands do stretch with wear and a good tip is to rest your bras between wear to allow them to recover. 

Cups sizes involve the psychology of flattery. As most bra wearers long for extra size, make the cups smaller to  save fabric and flatter the wearer so they feel better.     I have  found myself fitting more to C cups recently rather than Bs. Or perhaps, I REALLY am getting bigger?  LOL.

Offline Gino

• Bronze Member
In my 36 band size I would have made the size chart

• 1 inch (2.5 cm) = AAA 
  • 2 inches (5 cm) = AA
  • 3 inches (7.5 cm) = A
  • 4 inches (10 cm) = B

It's the same issue with shoe sizes, they're crazy and all over the place for Euro, South America and Asian conversion charts. No two seem to agree so I only buy U.S size marked shoes. 

Offline WPW717

• Gold Member
Concur,
44 underbust here 
49 +/- bust

Theoretically =D or DD

I fit best in most big girl bras at a C cup.

Sports bras are a crapshoot.
Regards, Bob

Offline JKing

• Posting Member
I don't know why fitters and some bra makers make this an elusive quest to get a well fitting bra.

My measured band size is 36, the vast majority of maker's garment bands marked 36 will fit me perfectly on the rear hook closest to the end of the strap allowing for band stretch so I could use the last two hooks if needed.

If I went by the online absurd add 4" to my band size method and ordered a 40 I'd slide out of it.

Measuring my bust with an unlined well fitting unlined bra on or being naked and bending over I'm also exactly 4" over my band size and a known nearly "perfect" B cup. Some brands  have cups that are a tad smaller, some a tad larger but the vast number of brands fit with a B cup.

The online cup size determining method using a difference of:

• 1 inch (2.5 cm) = A
  • 2 inches (5 cm) = B
  • 3 inches (7.5 cm) = C
  • 4 inches (10 cm) = D
This table would make me a "D" cup and I could fit BOTH of my boobs in a D cup,  I know this as my GF is a D and her bra and cups swim on me.

So my advice is find a brand that fits and stick with it.

A long while ago I was lucky to stumble into a thrift shop that had bins of sized bras from 32 through 40 and an employee saw me looking and sold me the whole bin of 36B's for not much more than the price of one quality bra and it happens that I discovered several brands marked 36B and every one fit me so I stick with those brands.

I re-donated those which were too stretched, front hook, lined, padded or old and tattered and I can order my fave brands online with high confidence that they will fit.
The main reason the normal measuring doesn't work for men who went through a normal puberty and developed gyno later in life is because our chest size in the bust region has more muscle mass on average and a bigger and straighter ribcage overall.  Thus, generally when using the normal women's measurement system you will end up with cup sizes that are too large. I am generally an A Cup with some B cups depending on the brand. But if I follow the usual rules I would almost always be told I am a D Cup. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024