Author Topic: My 1st Post / introduction.  (Read 235 times)

Offline 42D-What

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
So...  Started feeling nipple discomfort and one even started to bleed so I did a self breast exam and found what I thought were lumps.  Pretty scared because breast cancer is CANCER and I had already convinced myself I had it. Why otherwise? Saw my GP who had me lay down so she could do a breast exam. She said I needed a Mamogram and in short order had my 1st. The lady doing this was very nice and told me that it was so rare in men to not be concerned that she was quite sure the results would go to Dr X and she would send her back to tell me I was fine. So she left for quite a while and came back looking like she was sorry she had told me not to worry?? Or so I was thinking because Dr X needed to see me and it wasn't a female doc (Which I've come to perfer) but a male one who talked over my head but after what seemed like quite some time told me I didn't have cancer. That it was just Gynecomastia which is very common and nothing to worry about unless I found new lumps.  Years pass. So... a short time ago my nipples having stopped their bleeding and being twinge worthy if bumped started to become uncomfortable again and I returned to my GP who sent me again for a mamogram and again got an all clear with some notes on doing regular exams and to not be surprised if I ended up being regularly checked. 

I've pretty much ignored my moobs wore lots of black T shirts and didn't get anyone really saying anything including my wife. Our relationship is a good one so nothing to be too worried about. Except this. I have back pain up the wazoo and I had some totally unrelated abdominal surgery where they issued some hard core narcotics to let me sleep. (I look like I was in a losing knife fight with 3 guys)  After the pain from the surgery went away I found myself wondering if I could talk my doctor into prescribing these really not good for regular use pain meds? Why I pondered does my Back keep hurting I am retired and am not hefting heavy stuff and I've no previous back injuries. Reading a bit on Gynecomastia I saw that some men with it are wearing bras? A surprise but I'm thinking this is for a medical reason not  some cross dressing fetish.  Oh well some maybe into it for that too - but I don't judge because I don't care and do think those screaming the loudest about stuff like this are probably the ones with real issues. Plus I already have to wear compression hose for lypmpodemia (spelxted?) and was royaly wigging out until I had to ask my doctor to prescribe the damn things. She is a lovely person and I think has saved me from death at least half a dozen times but she said "Just so you know these will look like pantyhose." OMG sez I and I told her that I knew all about that because I was already wearing a pair.  Jobst and the stuff made for me is crap btw. *and have been now wearing them for more then 20 years. Anyway - She laughed which was pretty cool and my being weirded out about this is now near zero. Ummm well running to the door half dressed in them I don't flaunt them (I'm not THAT comfortable) but its really gotten to the point if I had to I would just not give a huge shit. Life is short and ITS MEDICAL!!! This is what I tell myself.  Anyway I'm nervous so I tend to blather.  back to the point.  I've gathered that chest compression wear is eventually uncomfortable and as I once was obese enough to have tried some kind of compression wear which clued me in that this wasn't the greatest idea *Except for my legs which without compression hurt much worse. A while ago I went to a web page that showed how to measure yourself and discovered to my shock I would wear a 42D?  D cup? WTF!? No wonder I have back pain! The only way this made sense was laying in bed last night I pushed up one of my breasts from the side and it does seem like I've got 4"s worth of boob. So... Now I've done some web searches for more info on gynecomastia support garments. Sports bras? T-Shirt Bras? Soft Bras? Please tell me what works for you. 

I'm not a prude I don't care if you dig having fondune highbeams. I just don't intend to flaunt my "assets" I am not keen to get abuse from numbskulls who don't understand why everyone doesn't run to a surgeon straight away. Me? I've had surgery TOO MANY DAMN TIMES. Anyway if comfort does involve some more observables I'll grit my teeth or flash my compression hose to confuse them.  Anyway no more surgery... Everytime something always seems to make it "interesting" and I'm too old for more of that. I'm here hoping to first vent because I have this "Why is it always me?"  Great book title but my sibling would publish "Because! Nyah Nyah!"  and I would like some of you kind gents stuck with crazy big assets like me to point me in the direction of some support garments that don't highlight the problem more then they have to but help with backaches because I really don't want to ask for more pain pills... And with my doctor who looks after me like a hawk its zero chance (I think) I would get them. I'm pretty sure I would be sent for some sort or MRI then have Bras and breast support garments spelled out to me anyway.  OK! Thanks for letting me vent and tell me what you think would work for me? 

Offline bobbly

  • Posting Member
  • *
  • Posts: 17
I'd suggest an unlined minimizer bra. T shirt styles are nice but many effectively add a cup size. Quality brand and get a fitting at a real bra store

Offline 42D-What

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Thanks Bobby.  Are there any specific brand ones you think would work best? It seems like there are 10,000 different companies making bras.

Offline bobbly

  • Posting Member
  • *
  • Posts: 17
walcol, primadonna,elomi,freya,chantelle,panache,fantasie. Expect $40 to $100 price range. There are other good brands and you'll find certain brands/cuts work better for you. A good fitter will help you narrow that down. I currently lost about 50lbs and had to purchase a few new bras as band/cup size went from a 44D to a 40F/G. Hiding them is an interesting dance of watching how different types of shirts drape / bra type / shirt patterns/colors interact with my body type. Can't hide them entirely but you can limit how much you stand out from the norm. Age matters also....at 20/30 your viewed quite differently than at 50/60 as by 50's the average guy has some degree of moobs these days so it's no longer a unexpected body protrusion.  

Offline SwoopNscoop

  • Posting Member
  • *
  • Posts: 10
  • Gynaecomastia from Finesteride. Don't want surgery
    • Finasteride, Gynaecomastia and Gynecomastia - A Blog
My breasts are much smaller than yours but some of my experience might be relevant - plus I'm in the UK so there are a few minor details about shopping that will be different.

I found compression vests incredibly uncomfortable and very quickly accepted that a bra was the way to go. I got a lot of help and advice from a big Marks and Spencer shop. 
I've since discovered that their sizing isn't consistent - and that's a common problem: 42D from one brand may be 40C from another etc etc.

I'd second the suggestion that you get measured properly, but be aware that some smaller places may push you towards what they have in stock rather than the best fit. Call ahead to make sure they're happy to measure a man.

I tried random bras from Amazon and budget retailers until I found the size and style that suited me, it was an expensive and frustrating journey and one I wouldn't suggest. 

Online forums - and Reddit ABraThatFits particularly -are worth reading through carefully.

Although I measure as a 40B the bras that fit me best are M&S 38A Demi-Cup bras - which demonstrates the inconsistency in sizes!

T-shirt bras tend to have moulded cups and I wouldn't suggest starting out with one of these.
If you are concerned about your nipples showing then padded bras are your friend.
Many men find eventually that underwired bras give the best support, but they do take a bit of getting used to - I suggest you start with a wireless bra or two until you are used to the feel before going wired.

Good luck! 

Gynaecomastia from Finesteride BPH treatment. Don't want surgery - my breasts aren't tumours to be cut out.

Offline Midagemoobs2

  • Bronze Member
  • **
  • Posts: 60
42 - Welcome! If you want your real size and what works best for you fast, I agree, a fitter is the express lane. I've found calculators to be off significantly - I think for people like me with broader shoulders and some muscle bulk (and I am not that bulked up, but I do work out), especially lats, the sizing tools overreport. For me a 40DD/42D seems to be right (after a lot of trial and error), but calculators suggested a 44DD/DDD.

I did the trial and error method, and it took quite some time for me to get something that was a decent fit. I now look for the terms minimizer (less projection), full coverage (fewer noticeable bulges), and underwire (support). If you decide on a sports bra or compression shirt for certain situations, that's where significantly larger sizes make sense, they just don't have to be so tight to smooth and support under clothing.  Best of luck!

Offline oldguy

  • Gold Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 256
42 - Welcome to our very special community.  

I was diagnosed about 15 years ago, shortly after I retired at 61.  Not sure why it happened, but I have been on inhaled steroids for Asthma for a very long time.  The surgeon's PA was a woman and suggested that I wear a bra for support.  My wife bought me a compression life jacket.  Clearly that didn't work.

After retiring, I began a exercise routine and over the years am 70lbs lighter than when I retired.  Mostly from walking 3 miles a day.  Fat contains a lot of estrogen.  While my waist shrank, my breasts grew.  

I'm only a 40C, so I am still able to hide them most of the time.  Summers are more difficult and I don't do topless, except at the Dr office.  I get mammograms every two years. 

Over 15 years, I have tried many bra options.  Even several fittings.  Never used wire as they make them more pronounced.  Even wireless tend to do that too.  I have settled on spaghetti strap exercise bras with a thin foam insert.  They hide the nipple and give me a smooth chest, rather than two mounds.  I get them from Amazon at around $20-30 for three or four.  Put them on after my shower in the morning and off at bed.  Wife approves.  All is good.  

Having support is important to reduce back issues.  Going upstairs or uphill, is fine.  Downstairs and downhill, even with the sports bra, they do bounce.  I tried a 38 and it was too tight.  Nice thing with Amazon, try it and return.   

I wear compression knee high socks and they seem to work well.  

There is a lot to learn here.  Take care.


 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2026