Author Topic: Surgeons and costs.  (Read 4569 times)

Offline kernel23

• Posting Member
Hello,

I live in Toronto and I will start looking for a surgeon next week. I can see from the previous posts that the two main surgeons in the GTA are Dr. Lista and Dr. Fielding (if there are any other surgeons that you can recommend, please let me know).
I don't have any private health insurance (only OHIP) and I was wondering if OHIP covers any of the costs. Also, how much should I expect the ENTIRE procedure to cost.

Thanks.     

Offline MRD

• Gold Member
Dr. Lista does the procedure at his private clinic, therefore OHIP does NOT cover any of the costs and the price is $5,000 + GST.

Dr.Fielding does the procedure at St. Joseph's hospital, and OHIP does cover part of the surgery. OHIP covers the gland excision part, and you are required to pay for the liposuction part of the surgery. Fielding's prices range from $1000 to 2000$.
Mine cost 1500$

Offline kernel23

• Posting Member
Thanks for the swift reply!

Wow!
Is Dr. Lista any better than Dr. Fielding?
I know that this is a hard question to answer but there must be some advantage to Dr. Lista as people wouldn't pay more for nothing. Does Dr. Lista have better results or is it just for the better experience before and after the operation?

Offline MRD

• Gold Member
It's really hard to say who is a 'better' surgeon. Different results for different people. Dr. Lista uses a different technique to the operation called the PAL technique. Dr. Fielding uses the standard technique in which an incision is made around the areola to remove the hard gland tissue, and then liposuction near the side of the chest to remove fat with liposuction. Dr. Lista claims that his PAL technique, which is just an incision for the liposuction is enough to take out the fat AND the hard gland tissue.

From reading people's experiences on this site throughout the years, iv'e read more Fielding success stories rather than Lista's. Perhaps a lot of Lista's patients dont report back to this site to say how things went, who knows. I'm not saying one surgeon is better than the other, just saying iv'e read more Fielding success stories on this website.

I think one of the major reasons why certain people choose to go with Lista is because he has it done at his private clinic. Most people don't want to go through the whole process of being checked in at a hospital, and staying at a hospital. They want to do it privately in Lista's clinic. I myself chose to go with Fielding because of the much lower price, and i didn't mind going through the whole hospital process.

In terms of results, it varies on the person. A lot of people heal quickly and attain their desired results quickly, others take a long time to heal, some people swell up pretty bad and dont have their desired results achieved. There are unsatisfied Lista patients, and there are unsatisfied Fielding patients. The trick is to not expect total perfection.

If you have any specific questions i can try to answer them, for my before and after pictures please go to this link http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php/topic,9516.0.html

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
IMO, the two factors that guys choose Dr. Lista over Dr. Fielding are....

1) No peri-areola incision

and

2) Time

You can be in and out within a week or two with Lista. Going with JCF takes much longer. Usually 2-4 months.

Also, I get the impression that some guys are terrified of the thought of having a peri-areola scar.

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline kernel23

• Posting Member
Hi,

I see from the photos that the scar is barely visible (great results BTW  ;D). I lived with gyno for 12 years (I'm 24 years old) so I guess I can wait an extra few months. The hospital issue is a positive in my opinion so I'll definitely go with Dr. Feilding.
At first, I thought that my gyno was due to obesity so I went on a diet. I lost 12 kilos but it didn't really help (I'm 1.80m, I weighed 96 kilos and I weigh now 84). Do you think that it would be better to lose as much weight as possible before the operation or should I go a bit flabby (my current state)?

P.S I took pictures of myself before I started the diet. I'll post them with my before and after pictures (I guess in a few months)

Thanks again for all your help!

Offline MRD

• Gold Member
I think its recommended to be in good shape before the surgery, but as long as youre not severely overweight its not a problem. I had my surgery a bit overweight. Dr. Fielding told me as long as you dont gain a lot of weight after the surgery it is ok. Since gyne can be caused by weight-gain try not to gain any AFTER the surgery.

Offline kernel23

• Posting Member

Offline marx

• Bronze Member
I had surgery done by Lista.  Firstly, you don't have surgery on 1-2 weeks with his clinic.  You have to wait for your first appointment, which is about 1 month.  Then you have to do all the pre-surgery tests.  Let's face it, the reason why most people use Fielding is the price for a well-respected surgeon.  If Fielding was $5000 and Lista was $2000, who wouldn't go to Lista?

I am one of those who went to Lista because I didn't want the areola scar.  I'm not saying Lista's incision scars are better or worse.  It is your personal decision.  I chose Lista because I was comfortable after our meeting and price wasn't an issue.  I am happy with the results.

I wouldn't recommend having the surgery and then gaining weight, so be at a weight that you think you can maintain in the future.  I wouldn't diet to lose 10 pounds before surgery just to gain it back later on.  It may accumulate in the chest area again!

Offline stockd3vil

I'm from montreal, quebec and plan on visiting mr fielding. Since RAMQ does not cover excision I'm going to check with my work insurance with manulife if they cover. Does anyone know? I'm hoping to spend below 2000. The only thing I know is they don't cover cosmetic surgery not mention on excision though.

Thank You

Dr. Lista does the procedure at his private clinic, therefore OHIP does NOT cover any of the costs and the price is $5,000 + GST.

Dr.Fielding does the procedure at St. Joseph's hospital, and OHIP does cover part of the surgery. OHIP covers the gland excision part, and you are required to pay for the liposuction part of the surgery. Fielding's prices range from $1000 to 2000$.
Mine cost 1500$

« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 12:31:53 AM by stockd3vil »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024