Author Topic: Finally, A load off my chest  (Read 7003 times)

Offline fizzy

• Bronze Member
I had the surgery on Saturday. Checked into the hospital on Friday - didnt even know the surgery took place till the anaesthesia wore off. Well, to be honest it wasnt as simple as I thought - I had a heavy padding on my chest - lots of pressure - cudnt get up - an oxygen mask providing oxygen, two drainage tubes (on each nipple) , a cathetar (spelling?) to help me piss and an IV supplying me antobiotic and something else. Have had to to take tons of medication - injections, tablets - the works. The surgeon came back to remove the tubes on Monday evening - and remove the bandages as well - it looked really flat - so I guess that is good - when he yanked off the tube on the right side -  I must have made enuf noise that cud be heard on the entire floor - surprisingly the left side didnt feel like a thing - was later told - right tube may have been stuck in some "raw area" - the bandaging is still there - and I can feel some form of liquid on the right side - I wonder if that is normal - perhaps someone on the board can help? - I move kinda slowly - and can if I shift in bd while sleeping - it feels weird - can feel some form of liquid in the chest - the surgeon insists its normal - btw, in my operation there was no lipo - only excision - he has asked me to go back to him on wednesday - so he will see if there is still a little drainage - and if I need more time to heal - he said that since the chest looks flat - I don't really need the compression vest. My parents were there when the operation took place - and for the 3 nights - they took turns sleeping in the room - just in case I needed anything - and trust me I did - sometimes water - sometimes tea or coffee - sometimes wanted someone to adjust the A/C or switch on the TV - was nice having my parents there instead me having to buzz the nurses or the wardboys all the time (though they too were very helpful). All in all, I guess I would end by saying - that the surgery is not as simple as I thought or as many people make it out to be - I cant drive for a week - so that sux as well - and having to watch TV for 3 days or stare at the ceiling isnt fun - but I think its all worth it in the end - I mean - I am only 3 days post op - and I think even it takes till the end of september before I resume all forms of activity - it's still all worth it.

I would still like info - of those who had the operation if they did turn around in bed quite easily - and if a little bit of drainage is alright.

Lastly, I would like to thank all the members of this board - who helped me muster up the courage to talk to my parents abt the problem - as it turned out - they were very supportive.

Thanks

Offline boobsgone

• Posting Member
  • carpe diem
Glad your op went Ok. As to feeling there's fluid in your chest... I felt pretty good the day after my excision, able to get out of bed and walk about (carrying my drain bottles :) ). As for lying in bed, I stayed pretty upright, back at 45 degrees and not rolled over at all. Everything in and around my chest felt 'stable' but sleeping was bloody uncomfortable so the afternoon I got home - 48 hrs post op - I lay down flat on my back on my bed with only two pilows under my head. I slept 2 hours and on waking and sitting up it felt like fluid was running from above my nipples to below inside my skin - euughh! One of the weirdest feelings I've ever had!

After that I constructed a sleeping arrangement with pillows and a large firm cushion that enabled me to sleep at 45 deg but rolled partially to one side or the other. Used it for a week before gradually lowering the 'sleping angle'. No more sloshing about.
The Artist formerly known as Manbreasts

Offline fizzy

• Bronze Member
Err - am just curious - what the heck is that liquid neways?

I still feel it now and then - but in general is much better than it was yesterday.

Can't wait to get the dressing off.

Offline BigManRestless

• Bronze Member
Hey fizzy....

Wow!! Sounds like your surgery experience was not only thorough, it sounded pretty intense!

The whole 'fluid-in-the-chest' thing is pretty common, mostly blood and body fluids, I think most of us experienced a little drainage even after the drains were pulled out so don't be too alarmed. It does sound like the right drain may have touched some raw areas.  :) Just remember, your body's been through a pretty rough trauma, the healing will take time. I was off work 5 weeks after my surgery, had to get used to sleeping on my back and I  moved pretty slow for the first week. Just depends on the individual themself! As boring as it may be, just relax for the next couple days and see how it goes....don't push yourself. It's nice to hear your family was so supportive as well!

Gadzooks! They actually gave you a catheter to help you pee??  :o Just the mere mention of the word catheter is enough to make me pee!! Youch!!

Be well, and welcome to the world without gyne!!

Offline fizzy

• Bronze Member
Hi,

Thanks for the response. Oh - and to complete the picture - besides the left, right drain - the catheter, the oxygen tubes and the IV - for a while while I had still not woken up from the anaesthesia - there was an EKG machine as well as that thing which apparently measured my blood pressure every 4 minutes (from what my mom tells me) - when my sister came to visit after the operation - she thought the operation had gone wrong - and I was in in deep deep trouble - pretty funny in hindsight. But I guess they did overdo the bit with the EKG and the blood pressure.

Offline fizzy

• Bronze Member
Haha - going down for the first time in a Tee which is not black since a long long time....just going to get a shave - but never been so happy - probably will get a smoke a well. I cudnt wear a tee since it was tedious to raise my arms - but looks incredibly flat inspite of there still being some dressing. Thank god for surgery.

Offline BigManRestless

• Bronze Member
Sounds like your doing well!
Continued good healing fizzy!!

Offline tornado

• Silver Member
glad to hear to are doing ok.  Hang in there and good luck..

Offline glinja

• Silver Member
  • bi lateral aggressive lipo done on NHS 16/06/04
Ditto, and fizzy it does get better, believe me, i know it doesnt feel like it now, but in a couple of weeks, you will forget most of what you are going through right now, and look at it as a milestone in the right direction!!
Regards
Glinja

Offline fizzy

• Bronze Member
You are right - it feels great - I don't know much about others - but in general it has changed my attitude to a large extent - I always used to be concerned at the back of my mind - maybe even sub-consciously - when I shudn't have been about it - just feels good now. Thanks

Offline Stew

• Posting Member
can some what explain about the drainage bottles?  what are they, how long do you have them? do they go into you?

Offline fizzy

• Bronze Member
Drainage tubes are placed in the operated area  - one on each side - to prevent fluid accumulation - they drip out the blood - in my case, I had them put immediately after the op on saturday morning and they were removed on monday in the evening - as I said one of the tubes was in a "raw area" and hurt like a b... when the surgeon yanked it off. Else it wasn't a hassle.

Offline gyno16

• Posting Member
WHOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!
NO LIPO AND IT WAS THAT TOUGH?

I have mild gyno and I only need excision and I thought I could go there and be out within a few hours....
Mine stick out 1.5 CM and thats it, the rest of the chest is fine.

Am I going to go through this??? Damn!

Offline fizzy

• Bronze Member
He has done quite a few gyne operations -  he did tell me that I could go the next day - but that its better to be safe than sorry - also had padded up the chest so tight that it was a hassle getting up - he said - if I did lay down for three days with the tight padding - I could do without the vest - and since I am in Bombay and its the monsoons - I should avoid the potholes. I could have done without the catheter - but the problem would have been moving around without the drainage tubes - the oxygen was given just in case - ditto for the EKG or whatever and the blood pressure -  he is quite well known in bombay -  alongwith the hospital charges, doc and anaesthetist's fees - the whole thing cost me Rs. 60,000 - or about $1,200 - and I have had no complaints - I already started jogging - and played a bit of cricket too - batted, didn't bowl or field - which works for me neways.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 06:57:51 AM by fizzy »

Offline vishal_chauhan

• Bronze Member
  • Hello from Mumbai
Hey Fizzy,

Who did your op. I am in Bombay and need to know. Pls help me man, you know well how it feels to be in such a mess.

My doc has recommended only lipo. pls suggest

post your msg here or mail me at vishal_chauhan@mysampatti.com

Thx

Vishal

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024