Author Topic: Is this the start of it?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline DaveSmith420

Hey guys, I've been on Finasteride (Propecia) for 2 months now and so far good success hair wise. However, recently I have noticed this "sore" feeling I get in my armpit and upper arms (bicep). I would describe this feeling as the feeling you get after working out. I just took a good look in the mirror and didn't see any lumps and my nipples don't hurt or feel sore(knock on wood). I did do some heavy lifting on Saturday (moving boxes and display at work), but I feel I would have felt it sooner, but who knows. Do you think this is the start of gyno? What should I look out for? This is the second day I had this and it seems to be feeling a little better.  Some guys on some Hair Loss forums I post on said it's probably just delayed onset muscle soreness, but I just wanted another opinion.  If it did keep up I would schedule an appointment with my GP.  

Offline TigerPaws

Hey guys, I've been on Finasteride (Propecia) for 2 months now and so far good success hair wise. However, recently I have noticed this "sore" feeling I get in my armpit and upper arms (bicep). I would describe this feeling as the feeling you get after working out. I just took a good look in the mirror and didn't see any lumps and my nipples don't hurt or feel sore(knock on wood). I did do some heavy lifting on Saturday (moving boxes and display at work), but I feel I would have felt it sooner, but who knows. Do you think this is the start of gyno? What should I look out for? This is the second day I had this and it seems to be feeling a little better.  Some guys on some Hair Loss forums I post on said it's probably just delayed onset muscle soreness, but I just wanted another opinion.  If it did keep up I would schedule an appointment with my GP.  
Be careful Finasteride is a Testosterone suppressor:

Less serious side effects include:
  • impotence, loss of interest in sex, or trouble having an orgasm;
  • abnormal ejaculation;
  • swelling in your hands or feet;
  • swelling or tenderness in your breasts; (aka. Gyneocomastia)
  • dizziness, weakness;
  • feeling like you might pass out;
  • headache;
  • runny nose; or
  • skin rash.
The sexual side effects of Finasteride (decreased libido, trouble having an erection).

Question is your hair more important than loosing your morning erection and developing breasts?

Offline fairviewL

• Posting Member
Finasteride does not suppress testosterone. Finasteride can temporarily increase testosterone levels by suppressing the conversion of testosterone to DHT which is the culprit of scalp hair loss.  This excess testosterone could be converted to estradiol which is part of a man's normal biofeedback loop to control testosterone production and this surge of estradiol could be responsible for breast enlargement. 
Conversely DHT helps maintain terminal body hair so you may see some decrease in that. With research a million side effects can be found to be attributed to finasteride. Everything from a leaky roof to impotence and turning men into women. You need to make an informed and educated decision.  Makes interesting and at times humorous reading for nights when insomnia hits. 
I think your questions would be better referred to the prescribing doctor than here. Your doctor knows your situation better than any of us. 

Offline TigerPaws

Finasteride does not suppress testosterone. Finasteride can temporarily increase testosterone levels by suppressing the conversion of testosterone to DHT which is the culprit of scalp hair loss.  This excess testosterone could be converted to estradiol which is part of a man's normal biofeedback loop to control testosterone production and this surge of estradiol could be responsible for breast enlargement.
Conversely DHT helps maintain terminal body hair so you may see some decrease in that. With research a million side effects can be found to be attributed to finasteride. Everything from a leaky roof to impotence and turning men into women. You need to make an informed and educated decision.  Makes interesting and at times humorous reading for nights when insomnia hits.
I think your questions would be better referred to the prescribing doctor than here. Your doctor knows your situation better than any of us.
While I agree that DaveSmith420 should consult a physician, not all doctors are equal, some believe their word is that of a god while others understand their place in life.

Finasteride is one of the primary medications used by Male to Female Transsexuals.

Offline DaveSmith420

Thank you all for the replies and fear mongering!  The pain has gone away, I think it was probably just DOMS.  Best of luck to everyone with their journeys.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024