Author Topic: To be or not to be? Dr. Fielding  (Read 2274 times)

Offline jimmygyne

• Posting Member
So after years of procrastinating, I had my meeting with Dr. Fielding in Toronto. He had quite a lot of patients that day and the meeting seemed rather hurried. Basically, I was quoted a close to 3000$ price tag and a date close to November. I am six feet one, 82 kilos, thin built with a bit of body fat and noticeable gyne and puffy nipples.

The price is fine - I have lived with this long enough to know that I wan't it gone. The part that concerns me is courage:
- I come from a poor family and financially support them
- I smoke
- If I do schedule the surgery for the date available, I will be travelling internationally 4 weeks after for work.
- Dr. Fielding told me that general anesthesia will be used.
- The hospital does not permit overnight stays anymore

I am scared and the negative thoughts are preventing me from going through with it! I do realize that any surgical procedure bears risks, but does anyone know of any such extreme cases or is gyne surgery generally safe? What is everyone's comfort level with hauling a large suitcase 4-5 weeks post-op? Has the swelling and scarring subsided enough at that point to enjoy a normal routine?

Thanks a lot people.

Offline Raboze

• Bronze Member
As you said, every procedure has it's own risks. Gynecomastia is part of them, but with today's technology and top doctors out there -- the risks are absolutely minimal.

I was back at work 2 days after my surgery, and started lifting heavy weights after 4 weeks.
To answer your questions, general anesthesia is probably the best option and it won't require you to stay overnight. I got released after 4-5 hours -- whenever you can go to the washroom yourself you'll be good to go home.
And yes, you will definitely be able to lift a heavy suitcase after 3-4 weeks.

As for the surgery itself, don't worry man -- it goes by smoothly, the pain is minimal and you'll be back to normal before you even know it. Dr. Fielding is a pro, you're in good hands.

Offline jimmygyne

• Posting Member
Thanks for the reply Raboze. It definitely alleviated a lot of my fears. Can you or anyone else help me out by answering a few questions?

- How many days after surgery can you resume your normal lifestyle (walk, lift groceries, cook etc.)? I know you mention that you were able to go back to work in 2 days.
- Is there any discomfort during sleeping? I sleep on my stomach and chest. Can I still do so after surgery or is it advisable to sleep on your back?
- How long do the wounds/ scars from surgery take to stop being noticeable?
- Is there any oils/ vitamins that you can take to reduce the chance of scars? My skin tends to scar, and the scars don't heal too good.
- I know most people tell one trusted individual what they are about to undergo surgery for, but I don't have anyone. Has anyone used a alibi for a different surgery to their friend/ family? E.g. I am undergoing a rib reconstruction surgery? I would love to hear good alibis...

Offline Raboze

• Bronze Member
Thanks for the reply Raboze. It definitely alleviated a lot of my fears. Can you or anyone else help me out by answering a few questions?

- How many days after surgery can you resume your normal lifestyle (walk, lift groceries, cook etc.)? I know you mention that you were able to go back to work in 2 days.
- Is there any discomfort during sleeping? I sleep on my stomach and chest. Can I still do so after surgery or is it advisable to sleep on your back?
- How long do the wounds/ scars from surgery take to stop being noticeable?
- Is there any oils/ vitamins that you can take to reduce the chance of scars? My skin tends to scar, and the scars don't heal too good.
- I know most people tell one trusted individual what they are about to undergo surgery for, but I don't have anyone. Has anyone used a alibi for a different surgery to their friend/ family? E.g. I am undergoing a rib reconstruction surgery? I would love to hear good alibis...

- You will obviously be able to walk after your surgery; how do you expect to get to your car?  :D Of course, you'll need someone to drive you or get a taxi if needed. You'll need to avoid driving for a week -- especially if you're on painkillers.
For groceries, I'd wait about 2-3 days. Of course, don't expect to be able to lift heavy stuff, and if you do and something doesn't feel right, don't take any chances and avoid it -- get a friend or family member that you trust to help you out the first couple of days (if possible).
The most important is to have someone with you the first day of the surgery. You'll need someone to get your painkillers (if needed) but if you really can't find ANYONE ask a neighbour or something. Do what you gotta do!

- Sleeping will probably be the most annoying part of this whole procedure if you're used to sleep on your stomach. You'll have to sleep on your back for a good 4 weeks after surgery. You'll feel weird when you wake up (first couple of days) -- I'm not saying you won't be able to sleep -- and you'll also feel a bit of pressure; you'll have the urge to piss like there's no tomorrow every morning!

- The scars will become less and less visible as time passes -- also, avoid sun exposure as much as possible. To improve the appearance even more and make the scar even less noticeable, get vitamin E oil (or bio oil) and apply some on the scars starting 10 days after your surgery. You should notice a big difference 6 months after your surgery.

- You don't have to tell anyone about your surgery. For instance, your boss is usually not allowed to insist on details and most of the time won't ask any questions. As for friends and family, it's completely up to you. Only you know who you can trust and who you can't.

Extra tip: try getting a lot of gatorade for the first couple of days after your surgery. Drinking water will make you nauseous (mainly because of the painkillers, if needed at all).

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions don't hesitate!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024