Author Topic: Method of paying for the surgery - help needed...  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
I have enough money in my bank account. I'm Irish, and will be having the surgery in England and paying for it in sterling. I am completely inexperienced with paying large sums of money. Up to now I have only paid for things through cash.

What are my options? Basically, I haven't a clue.

Do I pay by cheque? I don't think I even have a cheque book.

(cheque = check, by the way)
Surgery completed. Mission accomplished!
2/6/09. Dr. Karidis, UK.

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member
Bermant asks for a cashier's check, you can get one from you bank for a small fee.  I would think that most plastic surgeon's probably want the money up front before the surgery.  Credit card would be nice, if you have one of those cash back cards.  You just need to ask. 

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
Bermant asks for a cashier's check, you can get one from you bank for a small fee.  I would think that most plastic surgeon's probably want the money up front before the surgery.  Credit card would be nice, if you have one of those cash back cards.  You just need to ask. 

I'm actually in the process of getting a credit card now, because I need something to book the flight with!

Any other time I've gone abroad, I've used ny mother's card (and paid her back of course)

So, perhaps I can use this card to pay? I'm not sure how any of this works, I'm a total noob.

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
Another question I have... I was looking up a debit card I was going to get, and under terms and conditions, it said this:

"There is no maximum transaction value for Chip and PIN Laser transactions. A limit of €1,500 applies to non Chip and PIN transactions."

What are chip transactions?

I'm in Ireland. Would it be possible to pay a surgeon in the UK with this card?

Offline Celts

• Bronze Member
Cellar wereabouts you from in Ireland man? Im up north, going to book my consulation 2mora hopefully and get a bank loan to pay for surgery got a quote  for £3250 quid for excision and lipo.

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
Cellar wereabouts you from in Ireland man? Im up north, going to book my consulation 2mora hopefully and get a bank loan to pay for surgery got a quote  for £3250 quid for excision and lipo.

Hey man, around the Galway area. Who are you booking your consultation with? A couple of months ago I went to the "Harley Medical Group" in Dublin, these guys are plastic surgeons. I was not very impressed, to be honest. The woman who consulted with me was not knowledgeable about gyno, and they had done fuk-all operations of it before. I requested pics, and they showed me one - just one - of a fat middle aged guy who had gotten lipo on his chest.

I never called them back.

I have come to the conclusion that surgery in Ireland is in its beginning stages compared to surgeons in the UK, who would be more experienced. So, I figured the UK would be the best place to go, and Dr. Karidis, and the testimonials about him on these forums, have really impressed me.

Offline Celts

• Bronze Member
This is were im going cellar mate, its a private hospital near Derry (ballykelly)-http://www.nwih.co.uk/

GynO_DuDe

Another question I have... I was looking up a debit card I was going to get, and under terms and conditions, it said this:

"There is no maximum transaction value for Chip and PIN Laser transactions. A limit of €1,500 applies to non Chip and PIN transactions."

Chip & Pin are transactions done with your pin number ... so you can do unlimited amounts aslong as you use your pin number to pay instead of the old skool signing the receipt with your signature method of payment, hence they cap that to £1,500.

At these hospitals they usually have a paypoint terminal where you just pay the full amount on your card with your pin, so you should be fine.

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member
This is were im going cellar mate, its a private hospital near Derry (ballykelly)-http://www.nwih.co.uk/

Best of luck man. Post about your experience there

Offline Cellar_Door

• Silver Member

Chip & Pin are transactions done with your pin number ... so you can do unlimited amounts aslong as you use your pin number to pay instead of the old skool signing the receipt with your signature method of payment, hence they cap that to £1,500.

At these hospitals they usually have a paypoint terminal where you just pay the full amount on your card with your pin, so you should be fine.

Ah, ok, thanks. I was thrown off by "chip" - what does that mean?

If I book the appointment over the phone, can I pay a significant amount over the phone? I need to pay about £1000 first, and then the remainder a few weeks before the surgery.

I'm inexperienced in this matter, as you can see!

Offline anon85

• Posting Member
Ah, ok, thanks. I was thrown off by "chip" - what does that mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_and_PIN

It would appear that "chip" just refers to the microchip now embedded in debit cards. The card reader verifies the chip is authentic and then asks you for your Personal Identification Number (Chip and PIN).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 06:44:48 PM by anon85 »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024