Author Topic: Using Drains - is it good or bad?  (Read 2525 times)

Offline tony_ss

• Silver Member
I consulted a few plastic surgeons lately. One told me that he will use drains to remove the fluid. he mentioned that fluid could be dangerous to some of the organs in your body and hence the fluid should be drained out.
I also heard that using drains lead to a more rapid and easier recovery - is it true?

Other PS told me that drains are no more used and it's a old technique. Most of the fluid will be drained out during surgery and remaining fluid will be absorbed and excreted by the body.
I have couple of questions:
1) so using drains - is it good or bad?  also do you need to hold it all the time for 2 to 7 days after surgery? wouldn't it be uncomfortable to hold it all the time?

2) If drains are not used, would the fluid still be discharged through the incision?

Offline gabbyhey

• Gold Member
Ok dude, here is what I know...

I've got drains, I had a pretty in depth surgery.  I'm very glad that I've had them because I look at how much fluid has come out and I'm glad it' s out and not in my body.  You do not have to hold them.  The tubes come out of each side and go into bulbs, (plastic pouches the size of a coin purse) these bulbs are then safety pinned to your bandage or your belt or wherever you want them.  I empty them out every once in a while, measure them and put them back on.  I have my drains taken out tomorrow (which I heard may or may not be painful).  It is painful now in the area where the tubes go into my chest, but not that bad.  The worst feeling is when you have one of the tubes clot up with blood and you have to "milk" them.  Then the suction hurts.  Overall, I think drains are still commonly used.  Any more questions?

Offline tony_ss

• Silver Member
Hi gabbyhey,
thanks for your reply. To insert the tubes in your chest, do they make a separate incision? don't you feel uncomfortable sleeping with drains? also r u wearing compression vest?
Thanks,
TOny.

Offline manzeer

• Posting Member
Tony,
Yes there is an incision where the drains go in or exit(however you want to look at it). Not sure if they use the same incision that was used for doing the lipo or not, as I never asked. The drains the Dr. used with me exited the body at the top of the ribcage just below the armpit. It's all taped up at the exit point you don't even notice. Sleeping not a problem. Catching the tube on something, like a chair when getting up, and pulling on the drain tube does ouch. If you get drains have them leave the tube a little long, say about 2.5ft (75cm) for ease in emptying the bulbs. Just bee careful not to catch them on anything. You can tuck them down your pants and they stay out of the way.  I was wearing a compression vest with the drains. Removal is like having 3 or 4 hairs pulled at the same time. Not so bad. If sqweemish, don't watch. Is kinda wild though. The sorest part of the entire operation site on me so far (4wks tomorrow) had been the area where the drain was removed. It took almost a week to not be tender to the touch. Again, nothing major just soreness. Enjoy..

p.s. Lipo/excision was done on me.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 01:11:20 PM by manzeer »

Offline gabbyhey

• Gold Member
I had a borderline severe case on my surgery.  The best option that we came up with was a mastectomy with nipple graft, so its more indepth than most procedures who will see here.  I don't have a compression vest, they just wrapped ace bandages around me.  Like Manzeer said, no problem with sleeping.  I looped the tubes and tucked them under my ace wrap so that they don't get in the way.  There is a seperate incision, and I don't remember having it done (i was knocked out) but I do know that that is the sorest part of my chest.  Even more sore than where they sewed the nipples back on.  BUt still not enough to worry about.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024