Author Topic: Vest - 6 weeks or longer because of swelling? Any experiences?  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Jhonnyb

Dear all,
I am from Austria and I decided to get my operation done in early May - it was one of my best decisions in life. The board was very helpfull too, so thank you all!

My question is now: the swelling is not gone on the right side, the "six weeks period" for my vest is over tomorrow and my doc said to me: "the swelling will go away soon, you don´t have to wear the vest anylonger, just get back to normal, massage the area and try to work out"....

As I am a gym-fan it´s no problem for me to work out (by the way I lost over 18kg) and doing the massage thing - but can I do more?

As I got used to wearing the vest, I am not sure if it would be helpful to wear it longer or does it make no difference? What are your experiences?

Thank you so much and
with best regards
jhonny

DrBermant

Dear all,
I am from Austria and I decided to get my operation done in early May - it was one of my best decisions in life. The board was very helpfull too, so thank you all!

My question is now: the swelling is not gone on the right side, the "six weeks period" for my vest is over tomorrow and my doc said to me: "the swelling will go away soon, you don´t have to wear the vest anylonger, just get back to normal, massage the area and try to work out"....

As I am a gym-fan it´s no problem for me to work out (by the way I lost over 18kg) and doing the massage thing - but can I do more?

As I got used to wearing the vest, I am not sure if it would be helpful to wear it longer or does it make no difference? What are your experiences?

Thank you so much and
with best regards
jhonny

There are two stages for wearing After Gynecomastia Surgery Compression Vests.  The first stage is for protecting tissues and helping minimize swelling.  The second is for scars.  Scars that evolve under pressure do better than scars without pressure.  Time wearing vest for stages can vary from patient to patient depending on the original problem, what was done, skill of the surgeon, and many other factors.  Some doctors' techniques result in so much after surgery damage and swelling that compression may be of value much longer than for other doctors' patients.

Stage 1 Compression Vest

Stage 2 Compression Vest
Activity can damage healing structures.  If there is new discomfort or swelling with activity, then tissues were not ready to be stressed.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Sheldon

• Bronze Member
is it normal or ok if gona start workout 6 weeks post op, and with swelling in nipple?

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member
I would keep wearing the vest until the swelling is gone completely.  I think it really helps.  Check out the Stage 2 that Dr. Bermant provided a link for.  It's very discreet and comfortable.  I would avoid weightlifting until you are pain free.  You spent a lot of money on the surgery, why mess it up just because you are impatient?  Just relax! 

Offline Jhonnyb

Dear all,
thanks for your answers :)

I am without pain, my operation was -i guess- above average (over 1200ml for both sides).

I was always without pain and I am already verry happy with the results - but as I mentioned the swelling can still be seen on the right side.... so I will keep on the vest for the time being... just to take no chance... I was just curious if it doesnt make any difference after a period of 6 weeks :)

But if it still helps, I will hang in there :)

Greetz
jhonny

Offline moobydo

• Posting Member
hey there, Jhonny, any update?

I am at 4 week mark and my surgeon has said to leave the vest (I only got a 1st stage vest, with all the velcro and loops). I have very minimal swelling, if any, at this point and only mild discomfort around nipples, so I am thinking of doing as my surgeon says and leaving the vest.  But I'd be interested in hearing from you and others about how long you wore the vest for and at what signal did you stop (for example, no more visible swelling, or no more discomfort in nipples while working out, or ?)

Thanks!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024