Author Topic: Is Gynecomastia An Inherited Condition?  (Read 4041 times)

Offline Trevor2522

• Posting Member
My local breast surgeon at Addenbrookes hospital in Cambridge (UK) claimed it is not genetically-inherited.   The quack tended to think gyne was random or drug-related.

But I think that is wrong as my dad has it, albeit to a lesser degree, and I suspect my maternal grandfather added in a bit of flab for me there too!

Surprisingly a search of this site turned up nothing for 'inherited condition'.   Surely some esteemed members must agree with me.   Only logical, really ...

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
like a lot of genetics, it's got a lot of fuzzy edges, like the search for the "gay gene" or anything else.  i think it can only predispose you, the rest of it is environmental factors like hormones in meat and dairy, taking propecia, marijuana *ducks and covers*, or other hormone-influencing factors.  there may be guys with predisposing heredity that never get it, or who lack it that due, and it's just statistics how it works out. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Sebastian

I believe you're right, that it CAN be an inherited condition.  My situation is similar, with my father having had the problem, but maybe to a lesser degree.  I suspect that some day in the future, when the human genome has been much more thoroughly investigated and de-coded, someone will find genetic markers for gynecomastia.  I'm sure it's not a high priority in genetic research, so in the meantime, we'll have to just bear the genetic burden and do what we can.

Offline milesed1

• Silver Member
It's definately genetic in my family. My father has it the worst and my 2 brothers have very mild cases. I've seen puffy nipples already in my 2 sons.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Yes, and no.

My younger brother has it worse than I.

All four of my sons have it.

Only 2 of my grandsons are of such an age where it would be noticed but only one seems to have the condition so far.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Blue2

• Silver Member
I would say it could well be inherited. My dad has it, although his seems to be hidden somewhat by a bit of fat! He too has quite large nipples and I am sure he must have some gland making this more prominent. He does know about my my gyne but never made any comment about his, but saying that he is not worried about it and is quite comfortable taking his shirt off. Lucky fella!
Surgery: 18/03/08
Plastic surgeon: Alex Karidis

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
My maternal Grandfather had it...

I'm convinced (through reading many posts) that genetics, does in fact, play a role in Gynecomastia.

However, there are other influences that are contributing factors, as HHH mentioned...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have seen too many patients who can seemingly trace siblings, parents, and other relatives with gynecomastia.  Of course, as you all know, many people hide it and don't talk about it.

In sum, I am convinced that indeed there is a genetic component to it but that doesn't mean that it will be directly inherited (ie father direct to son, etc) -- genes don't work that way.  There is variable expression of many genes and it is just too complex for us mere humans to understand as yet -- but we are working on it!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline outertrial

In a sense everythings genetic. Maybe some men with gyne are susceptible to environmental factors that cause them to have gyne - but what gives them that susceptibility? Their genes.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I could not agree more.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024