Author Topic: A couple of questions about gynecomastia and surgery  (Read 3131 times)

Offline fiftyfive

I'm 23 years old, and since I was an adolescent, have always been very self-conscious about my chest. Until recently, I thought the shape of my chest was due only to the fact that I was always a little overweight. As of late, though, I have lost a lot of weight (around 35 pounds over the course of a year), and am now a fairly muscular 6'1 195 lbs. (maybe a little more post-Christmas dinner and leftovers haha). I thought that if I lost weight, my chest would naturally become more chiseled, but it has not. In fact, the weight loss, while enhancing the appearance of the rest of my body, seems to have made my chest look worse. Is this common?

I'm considering surgery. I live in Washington, D.C., and I have read of a plastic surgeon of some repute who practices male breast reduction surgery in Richmond, VA, which is about a 3 hour drive away. If I had the operation, though, I'd like to keep it as private as possible. Thus, I would want to travel alone to and from Richmond for the surgery. If I stayed in a hotel overnight after the surgery, would it be safe for me to drive back to DC the following day? Is the compression vest easy to hide when outside of the home? I'm in graduate school; would I be able to resume my classes and studies shortly after the procedure?

Also, what are the total costs that I would be looking at? The surgeon's website lists the average cost of the procedure alone at $2,800. I know there are other costs involved, such as the anesthesiologist's fee.

And one more thing: I am a broke grad student. I'm basically living off of scholarships, student loans and my parents' goodwill right now. Are there typically any financing options available?

I have been mulling the idea over of asking my dad to help me out, but as this is a purely cosmetic - and many would argue unnecessary (though my gynecomastia seems to be a severe hindrance to happiness) - procedure, if possible I'd like to pay for as much of it as I can.

Any advice and/or support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DrBermant

I'm 23 years old, and since I was an adolescent, have always been very self-conscious about my chest. Until recently, I thought the shape of my chest was due only to the fact that I was always a little overweight. As of late, though, I have lost a lot of weight (around 35 pounds over the course of a year), and am now a fairly muscular 6'1 195 lbs. (maybe a little more post-Christmas dinner and leftovers haha). I thought that if I lost weight, my chest would naturally become more chiseled, but it has not. In fact, the weight loss, while enhancing the appearance of the rest of my body, seems to have made my chest look worse. Is this common?

I'm considering surgery. I live in Washington, D.C., and I have read of a plastic surgeon of some repute who practices male breast reduction surgery in Richmond, VA, which is about a 3 hour drive away. If I had the operation, though, I'd like to keep it as private as possible. Thus, I would want to travel alone to and from Richmond for the surgery. If I stayed in a hotel overnight after the surgery, would it be safe for me to drive back to DC the following day? Is the compression vest easy to hide when outside of the home? I'm in graduate school; would I be able to resume my classes and studies shortly after the procedure?

Also, what are the total costs that I would be looking at? The surgeon's website lists the average cost of the procedure alone at $2,800. I know there are other costs involved, such as the anesthesiologist's fee.

And one more thing: I am a broke grad student. I'm basically living off of scholarships, student loans and my parents' goodwill right now. Are there typically any financing options available?

I have been mulling the idea over of asking my dad to help me out, but as this is a purely cosmetic - and many would argue unnecessary (though my gynecomastia seems to be a severe hindrance to happiness) - procedure, if possible I'd like to pay for as much of it as I can.

Any advice and/or support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

We see many patients from Washington D.C. and around the world who prefer my techniques.  Cost of Gynecomastia Surgery depends on the problem to be treated and what needs to be done.  Jane is my office manager and can better discuss typical costs, fees, and payment options.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Almost all of my patients can drive a short distance the day of surgery.  Travel back home the next day is typically fine as long as a patient is comfortable and not requiring the prescription pain medication.  These issues among others are part of our extensive patient education during their consultations.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Surgery

Offline impervious

• Posting Member
I can totally appreciate you situation to keep this private. You should definitely consider at least one person to help you through the process. I had my brother help out. I even grew the balls to tell my girlfriend. People are pretty understanding regardless of what you may believe. She was actually intrigued and I got laid later in the week and I didn't have to do any work...it was great.

You can expect to be back to school/work after one week. The whole procedure is very easy. The hardest part of the procedure was the ride home--I was nauseated from the anestethia which wore off with some sleep.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I thought that if I lost weight, my chest would naturally become more chiseled, but it has not. In fact, the weight loss, while enhancing the appearance of the rest of my body, seems to have made my chest look worse. Is this common?

Yes, very common. There is a common misconception that if the G sufferer looses weight, he will also loose the G. In the vast majority of cases, this just isn't true. In most cases, the majority of the G remains while the rest of the body is very toned. G on a skinny guy just looks odd...  :-\

Is the compression vest easy to hide when outside of the home? I'm in graduate school; would I be able to resume my classes and studies shortly after the procedure?

The compression vest could be concealed by a baggy sweat shirt (cold months of course). You could opt for an UnderArmour type compression shirt rather than a 'vest' if you are wanting to wear a t-shirt or other semi-tight shirt.

Yes, you should be able to resume classes within a week, after your surgery. However, keep in mind that you will still have a long road to recovery. You should expect at least 3-6 months for initial recovery. Depending on how quick you heal, you may not see final results for a full year.

Average cost in the US is approx $6000 all in...

Yes, many PS's have 'discrete' financing options available. If you go that route, make sure you fully understand the terms of the contract and most importantly, the current interest rate. 

Yes, G is a 'cosmetic' procedure, however, I would not say that it is an 'unnecessary' procedure. Gynecomastia is a very psychologically crippling condition. In order for the sufferer to be relieved of the G related stress/anxiety, Gynecomastic Reduction Surgery is a very necessary procedure!

Those people who say that it isn't 'necessary', in most cases, don't have the condition themselves ( Insurance Co's/GP's etc... ). So then how would they 'know' if it isn't necessary? As the old saying goes... Don't judge a person unless you have walked in his/her shoes for a while... ( or something like that anyways... ;) )

There is a woman close to where I live who could grow a full beard. She just recently had laser surgery to correct the condition. Just ask her if her procedure was 'necessary'. We all know what her answer would be.... ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline BMB65

• Posting Member
i uderstand you dont have money but getting rid of the mental aguish of having boobs is priceless ......i went into debt for it and if it cost twice as much , i would have went into twice as much debt for it !  dont short change yourself

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024